Faulty Falcon?

Musical Viking

Hi all.

So I’ve been having trouble with one of my Falcon bowls - it seems to be sitting too tight when I screw it in place so the draw is restricted, thus stopping the pipe from smoking properly. The other bowl I have smokes fine in the same stem. Does anyone know what I should be looking for to fix the problem, or is this a fairly common problem with interchangeable bowls that’s just plain bad luck on me?

TIA!
If you’re reading this, you’ve scrolled too far.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Are you using dry rings? Maybe the seal is off/loose? Check for cross-threading. Ive never had this issue unless a dry ring was blocking/jammed up
Musical Viking

I’m not using dry rings. I’ll double check the seal and the threads though. Thanks!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Depending on the manufacture of the bowl it almost sounds like the hole in the bottom is sitting too close to the aluminum protrusion in the center. That could be remedied a few different ways
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Dr Watson

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:14 pm Depending on the manufacture of the bowl it almost sounds like the hole in the bottom is sitting too close to the aluminum protrusion in the center. That could be remedied a few different ways
That sounds about right. The depth of the screwing part does vary from one bowl to the next, so that could be it. I'm not sure if there's much to do about it besides screwing a bit less, but that has downfalls. I don't know if the base of the screwing part can be lightly sandblasted, I don't have my Falcon pipes anymore.
It happened to me, but only once among over 30 bowls, I reckon, so it could be a rare occurence.
I guess the best thing to do is order a couple more bowls and test them before you smoke them. One never has too many Falcon bowls. ;) :P
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.'. Frank Zappa.
Musical Viking

Well, I’ve inspected it closer and given the thing an extra thorough scrubbing which didn’t achieve the desired result, so I took my penknife to the hole. A few gentle turns around the underside seems to have done the trick. Hopefully! If I’ve bust it at least it’s not an overly expensive mistake! Thanks for the insights - much appreciated!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Musical Viking wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:04 pm Well, I’ve inspected it closer and given the thing an extra thorough scrubbing which didn’t achieve the desired result, so I took my penknife to the hole. A few gentle turns around the underside seems to have done the trick. Hopefully! If I’ve bust it at least it’s not an overly expensive mistake! Thanks for the insights - much appreciated!
You read my mind on the fix
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:15 pm
Musical Viking wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:04 pm Well, I’ve inspected it closer and given the thing an extra thorough scrubbing which didn’t achieve the desired result, so I took my penknife to the hole. A few gentle turns around the underside seems to have done the trick. Hopefully! If I’ve bust it at least it’s not an overly expensive mistake! Thanks for the insights - much appreciated!
You read my mind on the fix
Yup
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!