Benchmark Burleys

Nhsmoker

I am always intrigued buy burley lovers. I just don't personally get it. I am just getting back into the pipe world and may give it another go. I usually prefer English blends but also love aromatics but may give a few burley another shot this time around. I have saved a discontinued tin for years in case the burley bug hits me so to speak but I don't really want to Crack it in case it's not my cup of tea so I will try some of your recommendations that are similar first. What is the most similar in your opinion to Edgeworth ready rubbed?
kschatey

Nhsmoker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am I am always intrigued buy burley lovers. I just don't personally get it. I am just getting back into the pipe world and may give it another go. I usually prefer English blends but also love aromatics but may give a few burley another shot this time around. I have saved a discontinued tin for years in case the burley bug hits me so to speak but I don't really want to Crack it in case it's not my cup of tea so I will try some of your recommendations that are similar first. What is the most similar in your opinion to Edgeworth ready rubbed?
I have been slowly "discovering" burley myself. The first burley blend that really clicked for me was Uhle's Crushed White Burley. I have since picked up some other burley blends, mostly classic blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, etc. to further explore. Other cross-over blends that I have tried and liked are Watch City Slices (RIP) and C&D Eight State Burley. Like any blend, slow is key and a good cup of coffee along since a burley really is a great match that enhances both.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Nhsmoker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am I am always intrigued buy burley lovers. I just don't personally get it. I am just getting back into the pipe world and may give it another go. I usually prefer English blends but also love aromatics but may give a few burley another shot this time around. I have saved a discontinued tin for years in case the burley bug hits me so to speak but I don't really want to Crack it in case it's not my cup of tea so I will try some of your recommendations that are similar first. What is the most similar in your opinion to Edgeworth ready rubbed?
I’d reccomend John Patton’s Storm Front from 4Noggins. Cuban Mixture from LJ Peretti. Watch City Crumb Cut or Deluxe Crumb Cut from Watch City Cigar. Sutliff Ready Rubbed Matched is a fantastic blend that is a match to Edgeworth.

Also the recommendations on the first page of this thread are pretty spot on.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Like @sisyphus I really miss Kentucky Club. Now my burley go to is Velvet.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
sisyphus
Person of Interest

HU is as good as it gets but more trouble to order.
Uhle's is tough to beat and everyone should smoke it.
Overall I am not a big C&D fan, but their Burley Flake #5 is pretty awesome and I'd be inclined to buy lots if they sold it bulk.
MacBaren Burley Flake is also top notch and is available in bulk.

I don't think of the G&H stuff as being Burley blends, that said nobody does Kentucky better than they. Dark Flake is mother's milk.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list