Question about Meerschaum stems

Woodrow1953

I’ve been perusing the long lists of estate Meerschaums. I really don’t think I’d get on with the screw stems. Looks like a PITA. The push-pull seems far more sensible. The many estates don’t show the stem alone, and I’m assuming all these stems are the screw type.
If the stem is the screw type how can you get a correct orientation?
However, you get what you pay for. That’s why I do like the African Meers that seem to be more of the push-pull type.

There’s even replacement stems you can buy, but they’re the screw type too. Working on these old meers has to be a bit hit and miss.

W
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:13 am I’ve been perusing the long lists of estate Meerschaums. I really don’t think I’d get on with the screw stems. Looks like a PITA. The push-pull seems far more sensible. The many estates don’t show the stem alone, and I’m assuming all these stems are the screw type.
If the stem is the screw type how can you get a correct orientation?
However, you get what you pay for. That’s why I do like the African Meers that seem to be more of the push-pull type.

There’s even replacement stems you can buy, but they’re the screw type too. Working on these old meers has to be a bit hit and miss.

W
Those old meers with the screw fitment are a bit fiddly and they can wear out. It's not a system that I care for. If you are looking for an estate I'd definitely stick with the African meers that have a traditional push type tenon
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Most of them you can just keep twisting until it's straight. The worst part is the restricted draw from the screw in fitting. There are a few people who will replace the screw in with a push in stem for a reasonable price.
God and Texas!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

IMP has been using the push stem set up on some recently. Makes me consider getting a new meer. Turkish no less. Now to find out if they offer vulcanite. If I can get a smooth Prince meer with a Cumberland stem that'd be great. There's Baki but I waited too long and now his stuff is basically for the Chinese market, overpriced and only available on a sketchy site I don't use.