The Phantom Box Pass

rekamepip
Codger in Training

^ money hidden money
Didn’t the original Amazon Pantry box get swapped out somewhere down the line ?

Hmmmm
I would say that things smell fishy but considering the actual contents ……………
Bamarick

Wildcat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 pm
Silver wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:30 pm Here's what I took:

This came to me from @Bamarick or @Puff nstuff if I'm not mistaken. I didn't like the aesthetic of the original rusticated rim and so I sanded it down. I stripped the finish off as well to tone it down a bit. Them original stem was long gone but I had the stem seen here kicking around and I liked the look better than the fluted military style it originally came with, but I could never quite get the stem to come flush with the shank, no matter what I did. The tenon could use some beeswax as it loose, but even without it tightens up when smoked. It was hard to let go, as I think it's a good smoking, good looking pipe. But it aggravated me that I couldn't solve the stem shank puzzle. I'm glad it wound up in more talented and capable hands!!
Wildcat the GBD came from me in a trade with you. If I remember right, it was a $5.00 Ebay find. The stem that came with it had a piece of electrical tape on the tenon to make it somewhat fit. I took that off, ground the length of the tenon off a bit to make it fit flush, then I wrapped it with 50# braided fishing line and put a dab of instant glue on it to hold the line in place.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Bamarick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:18 am

This came to me from @Bamarick or @Puff nstuff if I'm not mistaken. I didn't like the aesthetic of the original rusticated rim and so I sanded it down. I stripped the finish off as well to tone it down a bit. Them original stem was long gone but I had the stem seen here kicking around and I liked the look better than the fluted military style it originally came with, but I could never quite get the stem to come flush with the shank, no matter what I did. The tenon could use some beeswax as it loose, but even without it tightens up when smoked. It was hard to let go, as I think it's a good smoking, good looking pipe. But it aggravated me that I couldn't solve the stem shank puzzle. I'm glad it wound up in more talented and capable hands!!
Wildcat the GBD came from me in a trade with you. If I remember right, it was a $5.00 Ebay find. The stem that came with it had a piece of electrical tape on the tenon to make it somewhat fit. I took that off, ground the length of the tenon off a bit to make it fit flush, then I wrapped it with 50# braided fishing line and put a dab of instant glue on it to hold the line in place.
:thumbs:
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
kschatey

Love the history and now I've learned several new repair tricks for next time...
Bamarick

kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:22 am

Love the history and now I've learned several new repair tricks for next time...
The pipe was never a good smoking pipe for me at all, but it appears that Wildcat did tame it down some. I hope it serves you well.
Rick
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

On a loose tenon I'll normally spread a thin layer of glue on it and hit it with accelerator. Wrap a piece of 320 sandpaper around it and give it a few twists until it fits like I want it to. And yes I know it seems like I use super glue for every fix because I do. It just works
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:31 am On a loose tenon I'll normally spread a thin layer of glue on it and hit it with accelerator. Wrap a piece of 320 sandpaper around it and give it a few twists until it fits like I want it to. And yes I know it seems like I use super glue for every fix because I do. It just works
True story. Great for cuts too
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
kschatey

Bamarick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:50 am

The pipe was never a good smoking pipe for me at all, but it appears that Wildcat did tame it down some. I hope it serves you well.
Rick
I think @Ruffinogold got it, so hopefully he has some good luck with it. I have only owned one GBD Grotesque previously and got tired trying to get it to smoke well and ended up trading it for something else.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:12 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:31 am On a loose tenon I'll normally spread a thin layer of glue on it and hit it with accelerator. Wrap a piece of 320 sandpaper around it and give it a few twists until it fits like I want it to. And yes I know it seems like I use super glue for every fix because I do. It just works
True story. Great for cuts too
Exactly. I actually need to re-up my stock soon. I keep multiple black and brown on hand and I want to add white and a couple different thickness clears
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:20 pm
Bamarick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:50 am

Rick
I think @Ruffinogold got it, so hopefully he has some good luck with it. I have only owned one GBD Grotesque previously and got tired trying to get it to smoke well and ended up trading it for something else.
I snagged it. I'll get to work on it soon, I hope.