Crack in Shank

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:28 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:37 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:03 pm Super glue mixed with briar dust saved from a previous rehab. Pack the crack using an exacto blade or some such. Sand and oil or wax the entirety of the briar and put beeswax on the tenon for a tighter fit.

Only if you don't have a zip tie of course.
Pack the dust in the crack and then use a needle tip on a bottle of brown or black super glue and call it good enough
I do have a pipe where I squirted some superglue in the crack and then used a zip tie to hold it all together while the superglue went off. You don't want the stem in while you do this because there is the hazard that you will end up gluing the stem in.
I don't disassemble my pipes for deep cleaning anymore at the suggestion of my pipe making friend. I'll take an estate apart for the initial cleaning but not again after that. So if I glued the stem in it wouldn't be the end of the world
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:39 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:37 pm

Pack the dust in the crack and then use a needle tip on a bottle of brown or black super glue and call it good enough
I do have a pipe where I squirted some superglue in the crack and then used a zip tie to hold it all together while the superglue went off. You don't want the stem in while you do this because there is the hazard that you will end up gluing the stem in.
I don't disassemble my pipes for deep cleaning anymore at the suggestion of my pipe making friend. I'll take an estate apart for the initial cleaning but not again after that. So if I glued the stem in it wouldn't be the end of the world
I'm interested and intrigued. I think I could be on board with this. You have codger in your blood. Details please.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:13 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:39 pm

I'm interested and intrigued. I think I could be on board with this. You have codger in your blood. Details please.
It was part of a conversation I was having one day with Neal. We were discussing general cleaning vs a deep cleaning and when I said that I would disassemble a pipe to do a deep clean he was like "oh I never do that, especially on a handmade pipe" The reasoning is that the tolerances on any well made pipe are so close that any time you take it apart you risk screwing with that. And it made sense to me. Plus there's a lot more chance of breaking something, stuff like that. So I give them a thorough cleaning more often but I don't take them apart to do it. One piece, plenty of alcohol, let it set for a day to completely dry / evaporate
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Woodrow1953

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:27 am Fancy repair - measure the shank with a micrometer and order a proper size band from Vermont Freehand. Fit it and epoxy it on.

Not so fancy repair - zip tie
I’d agree with @Mr Beardsley on this one. Post a pic and we could understand a little more.

If the crack is really long it’s a problem. If the crack is fairly small I’ve seen repairers open the crack just a bit and drizzle crazy glue into the shank. Then get fit a zip tie till dry. Then your going to sand the shank with 600 grit sandpaper etc.

If it’s a “near and dear” pipe get it done professionally.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson