Question on a bag of pipes (cob)

Woodrow1953

There’s a gentlemen who offers a bag of pipes for $75. 14 pipes. In the ad he mentions excitingly that there’s a “cob in every bag”.
I’m not questioning the amount of pipes, but why would anyone want to refurb a cob? Maybe I’m shooting blanks but how would anyone refurb a cob.

I guess one could line the cob with something, and do the same on the outside.

I’m a novice on cobs. The only thing I know is that they come from corn!
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:08 am There’s a gentlemen who offers a bag of pipes for $75. 14 pipes. In the ad he mentions excitingly that there’s a “cob in every bag”.
I’m not questioning the amount of pipes, but why would anyone want to refurb a cob? Maybe I’m shooting blanks but how would anyone refurb a cob.

Do you have a link ?

There various points you can take a cob to clean it up . I generally dont bother and just put it on the dash of the car in the sun and " Sun cure " it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:08 am There’s a gentlemen who offers a bag of pipes for $75. 14 pipes. In the ad he mentions excitingly that there’s a “cob in every bag”.

Elmer's Wood Glue is essential in restoring old cobs. Perfect color match for patching cracks, fixing loose stems. The same glue, a drill and a wooden dowel are the basics for fixing a burned out bottom. And like @Ruffinogold said, some time in the sun. It's easy, fun and a good looking, good smoking cob is the result.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Why are you buying a bag of unseen pipes for 75 bucks? Can you explain this more? Is that out of his trunk at a flea market? I have never heard of such a thing.

I would not refurbish a cob, myself, but, I would never refurbish any pipe since that is not my bailiwick..
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Woodrow1953

Citizen B wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Why are you buying a bag of unseen pipes for 75 bucks? Can you explain this more? Is that out of his trunk at a flea market? I have never heard of such a thing.

I would not refurbish a cob, myself, but, I would never refurbish any pipe since that is not my bailiwick..
There’s a guy named Kenneth. I think I have to apologize. Ken says there’s a cob in every bag. Maybe he means a new cob in every bag. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole completely with refurbishing. I just like it. Canadian winters are lengthy. I figure there’s a couple of decent pipes in every bag. I need a few things for refurbishing. Briar dust, ground up vulcanite etc. https://rebornpipes.com/rebornpipes-sto ... ags-tools/

What bag would you pick. Bag 1, 2, or 3. ;)
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thats a good deal. I mean you could probably get cheaper on ebay, but that would require more work. And if its fun and you enjoy it, I think you’ll be more than happy with your purchase.

Check out the Bare Pipe Youtube page. Almost all his videos are on Pipe restoration.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Woodrow1953 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am

There’s a guy named Kenneth. I think I have to apologize. Ken says there’s a cob in every bag. Maybe he means a new cob in every bag. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole completely with refurbishing. I just like it. Canadian winters are lengthy. I figure there’s a couple of decent pipes in every bag. I need a few things for refurbishing. Briar dust, ground up vulcanite etc. https://rebornpipes.com/rebornpipes-sto ... ags-tools/

#1 because there's a falcon / metal pipe in it. And the cobs definitely look used
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Woodrow1953 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am Canadian winters are lengthy.
You just answered every question I may have about this project. I look forward to learning how it turns out. :lurk:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Silver
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:35 am Thats a good deal. I mean you could probably get cheaper on ebay, but that would require more work. And if its fun and you enjoy it, I think you’ll be more than happy with your purchase.

Check out the Bare Pipe Youtube page. Almost all his videos are on Pipe restoration.
I really enjoyed his videos. Learned a lot from them. Wonder what became of him?
Silver
Certified Codger

Woodrow1953 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 am

I've been interested in the grab bags, too. 14-16 pipes for $75 is a great deal, even if one is a cob that can't be saved. I like refurbing/restoring/modifying/making pipes, too. It is a nice way to pass a long winter. Even if there are only a couple quality pipes, there's a lot of opportunity to practice refinishing/rusticating/modifying techniques.