Show Us Your Pipe Rack

avid

houtenziel wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:59 pm Just thought we needed this thread, and also wanted an excuse to show off the new pipe rack I was just given by a good friend.

So show us your racks, drawers, or wherever you store your pipes.

wow
insufferable filter guy
avid

A few of my own design that I posted originally on the old forum.

Falcon pipe rack

insufferable filter guy
Legion

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:01 am If I ever find one cheap I'd probably buy one. I think I'd want one big enough for all my pipes and for it to hang on the wall. I was looking at some online since this thread started and they ain't cheap!
No, they're not cheap. Even 2nd hand ones. I was lucky enough to score a 12 pipe stand that was asking $50 (which I didn't realise at the time was actually not a bad price) offered $30 & it was accepted; with postage it was $50.

I've also been thinking about a wall mounted rack. Apart from the expense, wall mounted racks are scarce so I'm thinking that I'll have to make one for myself.
John

My first attempt at making a homemade rack. I used oak and a torch to give it some color.Image
avid

John wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:49 am My first attempt at making a homemade rack. I used oak and a torch to give it some color.Image
that's kinda neat
insufferable filter guy
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:59 pm Just thought we needed this thread, and also wanted an excuse to show off the new pipe rack I was just given by a good friend.

So show us your racks, drawers, or wherever you store your pipes.

Sweet combo of nature and space.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:01 am
Southern Appalachia wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:35 am Any truth to vulcanite stems oxidizing when in natural light? Or is that just direct uv rays hitting them? I have a rack my wife had made out of wormy chestnut my grandfather had stored in the basement. I'm most likely overthinking it :uh:
I used to keep my pipes on a shelf near our slider window in a two sided pipe rack. I did notice that the ones on the window side of the rack tended to oxidize a tiny bit faster where the stems faced the window. Another thing worth noting - I had a pipe as a decoration on my desk in a little stand. It sat next to a bright fluorescent lamp that was on a lot while I sat at my desk. I couldn't figure out for the longest time why the stem would turn green on one side of the pipe when my office was a windowless cave. Turns out Fluorescent lamps give off a fair amount of UV. Later when I left that job I took the pipe home and discovered that the UV had faded the finish on one side of the pipe, and I was just so used to looking at it I hadn't noticed. I wish I still had it to show you a picture, but there was a pretty distinct line where the pipe faced the lamp.
I had pipes sitting on an open pipe rack near a window in the garage. They were out of direct sunlight, sat there for 2 years, and they weathered fine. There was no noticeable oxidation on the stem other than that found on the tip from regular usage.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
John

Got to fill this up now!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Nicely done, John!
ever forward
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

John wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:15 pm Got to fill this up now!
That is really cool. Very nice.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt