Driving pipe smokers?

saltedplug

Mr. Dennison's tag line I find wryly humorous, and mind you, I looked up "wry" (cleverly and often ironically or grimly humorous) to make sure that my understanding of the word was dictionary correct. It was, and I adore the line.

The line: "I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin

Cronin's understanding of what he knows is commendable as it seems to make a distinction between fact and opinion. In my opinion we perceive the object with very few facts and a great deal of opinion. Nonetheless, when we latch on, by attention, to an object, it is perceived by unfounded opinion, mistaken as fact. Only when trouble arises in doing so do we call up the distinction between them.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

saltedplug wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:09 pm Mr. Dennison's tag line I find wryly humorous, and mind you, I looked up "wry" (cleverly and often ironically or grimly humorous) to make sure that my understanding of the word was dictionary correct. It was, and I adore the line.

The line: "I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin

Cronin's understanding of what he knows is commendable as it seems to make a distinction between fact and opinion. In my opinion we perceive the object with very few facts and a great deal of opinion. Nonetheless, when we latch on, by attention, to an object, it is perceived by unfounded opinion, mistaken as fact. Only when trouble arises in doing so do we call up the distinction between them.
Cronin is one of the many good writers being buried in the sands of time. Extremely popular in his day, almost no one reads him now. A great storyteller...if at times a bit depressive and dark.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

saltedplug wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:42 pm
simplepipes wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:07 pm Nope . . .

I want to be comfortable sitting in a chair where I can focus on enjoying the pipe. I am also a holder not a clencher.

-sp
+1

I used to drive and smoke in my previous incarnation, but it was not satisfying. I seem to be acquiring technique in the current, i feel certain that it would dissipate given the concentration needed to drive. If I'm going to smoke a pipe, I want to be able to give it at least most of my attention. There's so much to remember, for me technique and tasting.
Just the opposite for me, as my best smokes are those where I need next to no thought and just the basics of attention and that attention being pretty much muscle memory. The majority of my pipe smoking happens in my truck or out and about.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
saulgoldie

I often smoke my pipe while driving. Some days it's the only opportunity. I clench, of course, because I need my hands for driving. I puff gently, and tongue bite is not a problem. Once inawhile, I see another pipester.

Back in the day, there was a motorcycle courier who would smoke a ciggie while riding. If I smoked them, I don't think I'd try that one. But he managed. And he didn't wreck, either. Course, he rode a "grandpa bike." A BMW R50/2. But I digress...

Saul
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Every car needs this . i love it . Almost every pipe I own fits it one way or another

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:12 pm Every car needs this . i love it . Almost every pipe I own fits it one way or another

That is very nice.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:12 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:12 pm Every car needs this . i love it . Almost every pipe I own fits it one way or another

That is very nice.
Chrysler 300 . I found " my car "
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mine only works when parked but holds much crap