interesting Velvet observation maybe

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:33 pm Of better yet ...

Great art! I have one at home I'll take a pic. I agree they should change the art from the Danish pipe. Makes no sense. I think Pinkerton came up with that.

I must confess, the only 7 oz tub I bought, I passed on to Mr.One-trackPlay-DohBrain @Citizen B along witha tub of Play-Doh so he could compare and contrast.

Your first post has me thinking I need to try the newest new STG. I have a fair pile of original new STG 14 oz tubs and yes, all have that classic dark sun ripend red color. (KC Blue/Mild was very similar in color)

Was there a difference between 7oz tub and the two pouches??
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:24 pm Well , its changed , but to my surprise .... its better !!!! I mean , how cool is that .

Remember how Velvet needed a few lights just to get going ... not anymore . I char lit it and just went with it . It burned perfect and tasted exactly the same except for maybe its a touch lighter ... but it built toward the bottom wonderfully . I almost finished it before I pulled in the driveway .

Im with @sisyphus ... things change and often times its a drag . Im pleasantly able to report that , other than some killer vintage Velvet Ive had ........ this is the best Velvet in memory . Im freaking thrilled !! I got nervous when I popped the tub .

Whomever tweaked this ... is a wizard . This just made my New Years day ... day
You smoke a pipe on a horse or a motorcycle?
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:24 pm Well , its changed , but to my surprise .... its better !!!! I mean , how cool is that .

Remember how Velvet needed a few lights just to get going ... not anymore . I char lit it and just went with it . It burned perfect and tasted exactly the same except for maybe its a touch lighter ... but it built toward the bottom wonderfully . I almost finished it before I pulled in the driveway .

Im with @sisyphus ... things change and often times its a drag . Im pleasantly able to report that , other than some killer vintage Velvet Ive had ........ this is the best Velvet in memory . Im freaking thrilled !! I got nervous when I popped the tub .

Yes... Yes he does.

Ronv69
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:47 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm

Yes... Yes he does.

I can certainly picture him on that. Does it take nickels?
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:40 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:33 pm Of better yet ...

Great art! I have one at home I'll take a pic. I agree they should change the art from the Danish pipe. Makes no sense. I think Pinkerton came up with that.

I must confess, the only 7 oz tub I bought, I passed on to Mr.One-trackPlay-DohBrain @Citizen B along witha tub of Play-Doh so he could compare and contrast.

Your first post has me thinking I need to try the newest new STG. I have a fair pile of original new STG 14 oz tubs and yes, all have that classic dark sun ripend red color. (KC Blue/Mild was very similar in color)

Was there a difference between 7oz tub and the two pouches??
My mind is stuck in that track and, to tell you the truth, I did not see much difference from the room note of Velvet compared to the room note of Play-Doh. Likewise the palette note.

Old Velvet was the best of the best. I will try the new Velvet when I come across it, which is why I am following this thread closely. :lurk:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

@Ruffinogold I am waiting for a review of the new Velvet. Bowl-for-bowl, does it match up the old workhorse we grew up with and grew to love? Is it still "as smooth as velvet?"
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:08 pm @Ruffinogold I am waiting for a review of the new Velvet. Bowl-for-bowl, does it match up the old workhorse we grew up with and grew to love? Is it still "as smooth as velvet?"
Im loving the stuff ! It is incredibly smooth .. lovingly smooth :) As far as matching up to the vintage stuff ... Id say so . I love the vintage stuff but that stuff , these days , is aged and off the chart ! The stuff today is as good as the stuff was , fresh , back in the day ....

IMHO of course :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Waitaminnit! You know what?!? Wildcat sent me a tin of Velvet a few months ago. I am going to excavate it from the clutter in my office and give this new Velvet a try. I know Wildcat sent it, because he included a tin of pink Play-Doh in the parcel. It is a 7 oz tin so it must be the new blend.

I did not open the tin of Velvet, because 7 ounces is a big commitment. I did open the tin of Play-Doh. It was fun. I would sit in my parlor and keep the tin of Play-Doh by my side. I occasionally would open it to get a whiff, like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

Then, I gave the Play-Doh to a neighborhood kid. "Thanks for the Play-Doh, Mr. King," little Timmy said. It was just like when I thanked @Wildcat for it via PM.

Thank you for the review, Ruff. I need to find this tin of Velvet under all the detritus that accumulates on my desk.

Thank you for the Velvet, Wildcat. :king:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:55 pm
Thank you for the Velvet, Wildcat. :king:
You're welcome sir 😸

We need tubs like these again.