Weather

Ronv69
Founding Member

We're having weird weather in Texas, again. It's cold and rainy, (think northern Ireland), with no freezes forecast through end of February. This is a relief of course, after February of 21.
Our big freeze came early this winter.
The Great Freeze of 21 killed 92% of all the squirrels in North Texas. The trees and shrubs are still trying to recover. Now, at the end of January, our forsythias are blooming and the daffodils are starting to bloom. Has the weather always been this strange. I don't remember it being weird from my childhood, but we lived in Houston and only had 2 seasons. Image
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

I live in the Piedmont area of NC, basically the foothills. It has rained every week since mid October. This is the wettest late fall/early winter I’ve ever seen. Guess what, forecast says rain every day next week.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ronv69
Founding Member

Our forecast is for rain for the next 2 weeks, but not every day. We will have a beautiful day between the rainy days. Our pond is overflowing now, but by August it's going to be a mud hole. But that's relatively normal around here.
God and Texas!
Presby John-Dave

We finally got snow on the ground (since early December) and more normal January temperatures.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Things are as usual here , which is to say .... rain and back and forth temps that youll never figure .We average 5 feet of rain annually ... 7 on the high side . March is the month I keep an eye on . Weird shit happens in March .. its like the month of struggles . It could be Spring or waylaid by a blizzard
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Winter finally arrived here. But it's warm today at 41°. Sometimes winter comes early. Sometimes late.

In October of 1987 the Mrs and I were married. Two weeks before the big day we got hit with a record breaking blizzard. Shut things down for near a week. Two weeks later there were areas still without power. On our wedding day it was in the 70s and there was still 2 feet of snow on the ground.

I was managing an Orkin branch in Burlington Vermont years back and I recall we once got 2 inches of snow on June 1st.

If you don't like the weather this far north, wait 15 minutes and it will change.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

Lots of ice around tonight, but always remember that it could be worse.
God and Texas!
Puff nstuff

After quite a few very dry winters, we have finally had rain and cold temperatures here in Southern California, of the sort I was used to growing up. It's been a real blessing, finally getting snow pack in the Sierra and water in the reservoirs again. The hills are green and the dust is down. Even enough snow to ski in the local resorts. :D
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 pm After quite a few very dry winters, we have finally had rain and cold temperatures here in Southern California, of the sort I was used to growing up. It's been a real blessing, finally getting snow pack in the Sierra and water in the reservoirs again. The hills are green and the dust is down. Even enough snow to ski in the local resorts. :D
The only bummer is that the more green there is now the more brown there will be to burn later in the year. Sad reality. But it is a pleasant difference compared to the past few years
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 pm After quite a few very dry winters, we have finally had rain and cold temperatures here in Southern California, of the sort I was used to growing up. It's been a real blessing, finally getting snow pack in the Sierra and water in the reservoirs again. The hills are green and the dust is down. Even enough snow to ski in the local resorts. :D
I hope that this trend continues for you. I remember how pretty those hills were in 1969. Besides, Texas quota for California refugees is full.
God and Texas!