A Change in Taste

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:41 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:38 am
Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:25 am

Chocolate Manhood is good stuff!
Even better with around 20% perique
I never keep blenders on hand. Sounds interesting tho.
I can send you a chunk of it pressed if you'd like. I'd add some mustache wax to the package as well but I went digging the other day and found that my pine tar, melting vessels, and tins were all in the same box that got stolen in the move. Hopefully they tried to snort the pine tar powder
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ive gone through temporary phases here and there . They all passed and didnt stay for long . I think the two longest , each about 6 months , were ... the first was unflavored tobacco and the other was the English / lat phase .

At where Im at in this long haul , I can say with certainty that most tobacco blends are good . Some do suck and some are great

Its very rare that I light up a new to me blend and say ... God thats horrid , but it happens sometimes . The same is equal in reverse
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

The reason I cellar wide and have so many things open is constantly changing taste / mood. One tin of MacBaren vanilla flake will outlast 2lb of ryback in my world but when the craving hits I want it within reach
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:17 pm The reason I cellar wide and have so many things open is constantly changing taste / mood. One tin of MacBaren vanilla flake will outlast 2lb of ryback in my world but when the craving hits I want it within reach
I hear ya . Its why I still have some Germains Plum Cake jarred
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
PoolShooter

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:16 pm My taste did change. Especially after a few year break in pipe smoking. Then I went through each blender and found which blenders I prefer and are currently making my way through all their blends.

OJK has a lot more nic than Half n Half. Like 10x more. If you like OJK, try Haunted Bookshop, Night Train, Crooner, and Five Brothers next. I’m sure you’ll like all of them.
Haunted Bookshop is a blend I like. Haven’t tried the others yet.
“My beard is getting veddey long. I muss tell Vladimir.”
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

I like otc codger stuff and lakelands and would be content with them till the end. i still don't get straight Virginias but have a few sleeping in jars in case I ever do. have a couple open tins i've jarred and try them on occasion. enjoy dark fired and Latakia on here and there, actually smoked a lot of Squadron Leader this weekend.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:31 pm I like otc codger stuff and lakelands and would be content with them till the end. i still don't get straight Virginias but have a few sleeping in jars in case I ever do. have a couple open tins i've jarred and try them on occasion. enjoy dark fired and Latakia on here and there, actually smoked a lot of Squadron Leader this weekend.
It's funny. Orlik golden slice was the first Virginia that clicked with me and was also the one that made me fall in love with flakes. I hadn't smoked it in a long time and then a buddy of mine gave me some that was 20 or 30 years old and it really blew me away. I always recommend that one because if you don't click with OGS odds are you never will be a Virginia person. I'd be willing to bet half of my stash is Virginia dominant and the other half is burley dominant. Heavy lat blends are a very small portion
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:12 pm
BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:31 pm I like otc codger stuff and lakelands and would be content with them till the end. i still don't get straight Virginias but have a few sleeping in jars in case I ever do. have a couple open tins i've jarred and try them on occasion. enjoy dark fired and Latakia on here and there, actually smoked a lot of Squadron Leader this weekend.
It's funny. Orlik golden slice was the first Virginia that clicked with me and was also the one that made me fall in love with flakes. I hadn't smoked it in a long time and then a buddy of mine gave me some that was 20 or 30 years old and it really blew me away. I always recommend that one because if you don't click with OGS odds are you never will be a Virginia person. I'd be willing to bet half of my stash is Virginia dominant and the other half is burley dominant. Heavy lat blends are a very small portion
fortunately I have some OGS along with the Newminster and Sutlif VA stuff jarred up. I tried my 5100 again over Christmas and it did noting for me, but I had it in a new briar so maybe that isn't exactly accurate.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:12 pm
fortunately I have some OGS along with the Newminster and Sutlif VA stuff jarred up. I tried my 5100 again over Christmas and it did noting for me, but I had it in a new briar so maybe that isn't exactly accurate.
I used to enjoy 5100 a bit (all McClelland started biting me something fierce) until I realized it's an absolute bore of a Virginia. It's cool for about 1/4 bowl and then it's a yawner. Mixed 50/50 with old Joe Krantz is a solid improvement. I'd take ogs, newminster 400, and sutliff va slices over 5100 every day
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Just seeing this thread. I haven't had a bowl of Velvet in I don't know how long. I don't know when or if I will. Two first run large unopened STG tubs is all that is left, a 3/4 open tub is going in the next pass.

Lately I've been enjoying Aro English blends? American English blends? Old school American style? You get the drift. WCC's NoYB, Holiday Match, Walnut/Walnut Match, that sort of thing. I bought a one pound sample of Best of The Rest English form P&C and plan to crack that open when spring and the outdoors opens up again.

Also, OGS was very good. I smoked through two tins of it some years ago, all of it in a YB Checker bent.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom