Kirsten vs. Falcon

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I do not want to go back fourteen pages to find the Metal Pipes thread. Kirsten is better than Falcon. I cannot think of a feature on a Kirsten pipe that is bested by the Falcon. Kirsten is, by far, the superior pipe.

I have two Falcons. I only need one Kirsten. I don't know where my Falcons are, not even the one I like, the one with the dental bit. I love that dental bit. I am smoking my Kirsten right now and I am loving it.

'Nuff said. I don't think many people have a Kirsten so I don't expect this thread to catch fire. I don't even know if they are made anymore. I don't know if Falcons are made anymore, either.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Falcons are still made but they are made in the UK. I prefer the Falcons to my Kirsten. More open draw for me with a Falcon. I do really like the look of Kirstens but they just don’t click for me. The system works. And I would buy one if the draw was more open.

Falcons work great with or without the dry rings. If your a Kirsten man and you don’t own a Don Warren Kirsten bowl, your missing out.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DonWarrenPipes
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

If I could find a bantam I may smoke a Falcon more often. I don't care for the weight all being 6" out on a regular bird
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:38 pm If your a Kirsten man and you don’t own a Don Warren Kirsten bowl, your missing out.

I see what you are saying and I agree, but, I am a simple man with simple tastes. I try to avoid PAD at this stage in my codger-y career.

Falcon is a good pipe and dry rings are not required. I liked mine until I went Kirsten.

I always use a snippet of pipe cleaner with my Falcons, even without an absorbent, there is never so much moisture captured by a Falcon's design than the cool, dry smoke of a Kirsten. I enjoy emptying that thimbleful of mucky tar and tobacco grool from my Kirsten at bowl's end.

I find the Kirsten, overall, more satisfying in every way. I was lighting it today and I thought, "This really feels good in my hand."
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:50 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:38 pm If your a Kirsten man and you don’t own a Don Warren Kirsten bowl, your missing out.

I see what you are saying and I agree, but, I am a simple man with simple tastes. I try to avoid PAD at this stage in my codger-y career.

Falcon is a good pipe and dry rings are not required. I liked mine until I went Kirsten.

I always use a snippet of pipe cleaner with my Falcons, even without an absorbent, there is never so much moisture captured by a Falcon's design than the cool, dry smoke of a Kirsten. I enjoy emptying that thimbleful of mucky tar and tobacco grool from my Kirsten at bowl's end.

I find the Kirsten, overall, more satisfying in every way. I was lighting it today and I thought, "This really feels good in my hand."
I got a Gen 1 Kirsten I can part with if you want it. Make me an offer. See thread below. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?p=148330&hilit=Kirsten#p148330
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:11 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:50 pm I try to avoid PAD at this stage in my codger-y career.
I got a Gen 1 Kirsten I can part with if you want it.
Let me try again.

I try to avoid PAD at this stage in my codger-y career.

Thank you, but I will decline the offer. One Kirsten is enough for me. I like it like the workhorse it is.

All the fiddling and cleaning and emptying the chamber is totally worth it. And, I like the bit. It is a comfortable acrylic. I know because I am clenching it right now.

My favorite bit is the Falcon dental bit. That is a bit made for clenching. It is so comfortable. It's like the Barc-o-lounger of pipe bits.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:46 pm If I could find a bantam I may smoke a Falcon more often. I don't care for the weight all being 6" out on a regular bird
If you think a Falcon is heavy, a Kirsten will be a featherweight since it is mostly hollow and crafted from aircraft-grade aluminum. If they still make Kirstens, I have no idea if they do, you should investigate the possibility, if you find yourself suffering a bout of PAD.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:34 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:46 pm If I could find a bantam I may smoke a Falcon more often. I don't care for the weight all being 6" out on a regular bird
If you think a Falcon is heavy, a Kirsten will be a featherweight since it is mostly hollow and crafted from aircraft-grade aluminum. If they still make Kirstens, I have no idea if they do, you should investigate the possibility, if you find yourself suffering a bout of PAD.
Yes they do. The Granddaughter owns the company and has a B&M in Washington state for the pipes. You can order direct from them. Also, DKmetalworks has some awesome refurb/custom Kirstens. He also invented the ‘GetBent’ Adapter. Converts any straight Kirsten into a bent pipe

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:34 pm
I've been having good luck with finding featherweight briars. It's not broke...
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have 3 Kirstens. I gave away my Falcon Shillelagh. I like my Vikings better than the Falcons and the Kirsten better than any other metal pipe. But briars are best.

God and Texas!