Sealed Bag Longevity Question

Splodger

I’ve just purchased an 8oz sealed bag of Esoterica Margate. I have a couple of ounces jarred, and plan on eking it out as I really like it, and I believe it is no longer being produced.

Question is, do I need to decant the 8oz bag to jar right now, or can I leave it in the bag for a good while?
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

It's still being produced, it's just scarce like all esoterica /Germain's blends. I have started to keep my sealed bags inside of a sealed mylar bag just to be double safe. But really as long as the seals and seams on the bag are good I wouldn't worry about it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Splodger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 pm It's still being produced, it's just scarce like all esoterica /Germain's blends. I have started to keep my sealed bags inside of a sealed mylar bag just to be double safe. But really as long as the seals and seams on the bag are good I wouldn't worry about it
Very glad to hear that it’s still around. Being relatively green, I’ve been trying out lots of different blends and I’m rather partial to Margate.

Funny, I used to go to boarding school in Westgate-on-Sea, just a few miles along the coast. There was an amusement park there with a wooden roller coaster, rides and and games of chance. Tourists from all over England would come and stay for their holidays. Place is very different now, Dreamland has closed down and there are no more holiday makers. All the working people take their holidays in Europe.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
slowroll
Founding Member

I find Ziploc bags don't keep tobacco for very long. Anything more than 2 ounces I put in a mason jar. Those you can open nearly infinite times without the tobac drying out badly.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Hitzy

Any locking Tupperware with a rubber seal will work good. The heavy plastic bags bulk comes in are very good as well, ziplock not so much
Splodger

Hitzy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 pm Any locking Tupperware with a rubber seal will work good. The heavy plastic bags bulk comes in are very good as well, ziplock not so much
Nice one!
avid

i jar everything
insufferable filter guy
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

You could leave it in the bag, even double bag it, but keep in mind that the bags are not a perfect seal, and the materials used may be semi-permeable(plastics especially in long term storage). If it were me and it was a blend I really cared about, I would definitely jar it - you just can't beat glass for peace of mind.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Hitzy

I've already caught hell for stealing the Mrs Q-tips and Tupperware for my hobby...she is not going to be pleased when I start taking her pickle jars.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Hitzy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 pm I've already caught hell for stealing the Mrs Q-tips and Tupperware for my hobby...she is not going to be pleased when I start taking her pickle jars.
LOL :? :lol:

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!