Latest Tobacco Purchase 2018

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

kxg wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 am
Splodger wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 pm I’ve never bothered to count how many Bowles I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for s bowl?
Figure about 3 g per bowl. A 50 g tin is probably 16 or 17 bowls.
So, this raised my curiosity. I took an objective, though limited look at my smoking cost. Note this is tobacco cost only. I filled a couple of my pipes in a normal way; a Savinelli 320 and a Savinelli 114 KS. They are on the upper end of my average sized pipes. I filled one with rubbed out PS LBF, the other with Sutliff Mark Twain. I then weighed the contents with my digital scale. The average tobacco weight was 0.16 oz. Using my average cellar cost of $3.08/oz, if my math is correct, my average tobacco cost is right under .50 USD/smoke.

I also discovered that I need to deepen my cellar. Someone asked me the other day what my cellar goal is. I didn’t have an answer. Using the same data points as above, my current cellar (20.6 lbs) will last between 1.3 and 2.2 years. I figured 3 to 5 bowls per day, 6 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Lots of assumptions, but it gives me a general idea where I stand. I figure I’m 20% there. It also showed me that tobacco is no small investment!

Of course it also showed me that I’m a bit anal retentive about pipe smoking!
It is always good to get a data point from someone who has measured!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

ODF 3.5oz tin
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Figured I could use 500g of Grasmere and the Mocha Strips seem like a good gamble so threw a pound on the order as well.
avid

kxg wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 am
Splodger wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 pm I’ve never bothered to count how many Bowles I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for s bowl?
Figure about 3 g per bowl. A 50 g tin is probably 16 or 17 bowls.
So, this raised my curiosity. I took an objective, though limited look at my smoking cost. Note this is tobacco cost only. I filled a couple of my pipes in a normal way; a Savinelli 320 and a Savinelli 114 KS. They are on the upper end of my average sized pipes. I filled one with rubbed out PS LBF, the other with Sutliff Mark Twain. I then weighed the contents with my digital scale. The average tobacco weight was 0.16 oz. Using my average cellar cost of $3.08/oz, if my math is correct, my average tobacco cost is right under .50 USD/smoke.

I also discovered that I need to deepen my cellar. Someone asked me the other day what my cellar goal is. I didn’t have an answer. Using the same data points as above, my current cellar (20.6 lbs) will last between 1.3 and 2.2 years. I figured 3 to 5 bowls per day, 6 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Lots of assumptions, but it gives me a general idea where I stand. I figure I’m 20% there. It also showed me that tobacco is no small investment!

Of course it also showed me that I’m a bit anal retentive about pipe smoking!
sheesh, numbers guys...gotta lov'em
insufferable filter guy
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I took P&C up on their Smoker's Pride 3-pack sampler offer I received via email. Maybe some of you did, too. There were three different flavors (cherry cavendish, black cavendish and vanilla cavendish) in 1.25 oz packs... all for $1 and free shipping. For those who don't know, it's not high dollar tobacco. Rather, it's a decent OTC tobacco in line with the likes of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. The estimated value was around $10 so I figure it was a good deal for $1.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Taking notes from Fr_Tom
i finally figured out what the SPRT that he'd been smoking is
and bought a little sample myself

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm Taking notes from Fr_Tom

You will like it. It is a solid unassuming smoke. I think it is quite good and a good value.

Old Ted Award - 2017
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm
You will like it. It is a solid unassuming smoke. I think it is quite good and a good value.
Well the bag does say Great Value and i think you are correct - it is good !
:lol:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm
Well the bag does say Great Value and i think you are correct - it is good !
:lol:
Truth in advertising for a change...

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bamarick

Longshanks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm I took P&C up on their Smoker's Pride 3-pack sampler offer I received via email. Maybe some of you did, too. There were three different flavors (cherry cavendish, black cavendish and vanilla cavendish) in 1.25 oz packs... all for $1 and free shipping. For those who don't know, it's not high dollar tobacco. Rather, it's a decent OTC tobacco in line with the likes of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. The estimated value was around $10 so I figure it was a good deal for $1.
I was surfing a news site Sunday morning and came across that ad as a popup so I jumped on it as well. I've tried the Vanilla Cavendish and for my taste it's pretty darn good, especially for the price.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!