Ronv69
Founding Member

Which you upgraded to a walk-in safe? 😁
God and Texas!
ric03

HSigurdsson wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:41 am
simplepipes wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:10 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:06 pm
I don't know where you live but the coyotes around here are Eastern coyotes. They are MUCH larger than typical coyotes due to the Eastern being coyote/wolf hybrids.
The biggest ive seen was 80 pounds but ive "heard" of larger ones. The average on our property is around 60 pounds. And unlike MOST Western coyotes, the Eastern will pack in family groups. Ive seen packs of 10 adult dogs.
We have 2 farm dogs that weight almost 400 pounds combined. They are Mastiff/Great Dane mixes, they are brothers. Unlike many Mastiffs, these are eorking dogs. They are fast, agile and strong. I watched one drag a 700 pound cow through a fence, down a hill and across the paddock by its nose.
Ok, here is the short story..... :)
A few years ago my wife was outside with our 15 pound dog, the one ive posted pics of.
I was inside when I heard my wife screaming. The 2 mastiffs were in the house with me. I went to the door and saw my wife with the dog in her hands and 3 adult coyotes within 10 feet of her. They wanted the dog.
Luckily the dogs were right behind me. I opened the door and they went into action
Two of the coyotes died within seconds but the other ran into the woods with both dogs on its heels. About 20 seconds later, he was also dead.
I have no idea how many they have dealt with when they are on the job. They walk around the farm all day looking for trouble. Apparently I only have pics of one, he was in time out for an offence. Ill go get pics of thd other. :)
ImageImage
I have noticed the Coyotes around here getting much larger as well. Plenty of food sources, small pets, etc. Two weeks past the neighbors Great Pyrenees dispatched one that had entered their yard.

-sp
Yes they probably are getting larger.
The Eastern coyote is speading because very few people are hunting them and in most places have no predators. The Eastern coyote has Gray wolf in them, up to 40% wolf.
In the mid 1990s I spent 24 months in the Brooks Range in Alaska doing my dissertation for school. I researched and wrote about coy-wolf and coyote/wolf hybrids. Both the Yukon wolf and the gray wolf breed with coyotesand this is changing the ecosystem in the North....yada,yada,yada. :)
Some very interesting stories and amazing photos you've posted! I've never seen a dog look so mean!... I bet you and your wife were thankful to have them that day! 😅 Didn't they pick up on your dogs scent, do you think? Or are they getting too cocky (or desparate)? EIther way, those are very impressive hounds... I bet the whole house almost shakes when they bark!
HSigurdsson

ric03 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:19 pm
simplepipes wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:10 pm

I have noticed the Coyotes around here getting much larger as well. Plenty of food sources, small pets, etc. Two weeks past the neighbors Great Pyrenees dispatched one that had entered their yard.

-sp
The Eastern coyote is speading because very few people are hunting them and in most places have no predators. The Eastern coyote has Gray wolf in them, up to 40% wolf.
In the mid 1990s I spent 24 months in the Brooks Range in Alaska doing my dissertation for school. I researched and wrote about coy-wolf and coyote/wolf hybrids. Both the Yukon wolf and the gray wolf breed with coyotesand this is changing the ecosystem in the North....yada,yada,yada. :)
Some very interesting stories and amazing photos you've posted! I've never seen a dog look so mean!... I bet you and your wife were thankful to have them that day! 😅 Didn't they pick up on your dogs scent, do you think? Or are they getting too cocky (or desparate)? EIther way, those are very impressive hounds... I bet the whole house almost shakes when they bark!
When we moved in here we had chickens, goats, hogs, cattle, horses, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, sheep....
There are no close neighbors so the coyotes thought they had it made. Most of our animals are very safe but the goats and sheep are vulnerable. The coyotes wouldn't mess with an adult cow or horse....probably.
After I eliminated one and my dogs got three, they stay away. Also, weare firing guns every day.
The bears were a bigger problem but the dogs take care of those too. Our bee hives got ruined 2 years in a row, even with electric fence. Sinse we have had the Mastiffs, the bears stay away. Except the new one I posted about in another thread. Hes still lurking around.
He will get a lesson if the dogs catch him. :)
Ronv69
Founding Member

The pretty rifles in the cabinet. The black ones live around the house or in the safe. The pistols are all over.
Left to right : Marlin Camp 9, Ruger 10-22 stainless Mannlicher, Remington Nylon 66, AR 15 with walnut stock, Ted Williams Model 100, Siamese Mauser 45-70, Savage 223,SKS, Wesson and Harrington Buffalo Special 45-70 32 inch.
The same for the pipes.
God and Texas!
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Coyotes run when ever I’ve crossed paths with them, shot a few over the years deer hunting. If I were to come across an aggressive one I would be afraid it had rabies.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 pm The pretty rifles in the cabinet. The black ones live around the house or in the safe. The pistols are all over.
Left to right : Marlin Camp 9, Ruger 10-22 stainless Mannlicher, Remington Nylon 66, AR 15 with walnut stock, Ted Williams Model 100, Siamese Mauser 45-70, Savage 223,SKS, Wesson and Harrington Buffalo Special 45-70 32 inch.
The same for the pipes.
Nice!
FJB
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:35 pm The pretty rifles in the cabinet. The black ones live around the house or in the safe. The pistols are all over.
The same for the pipes.
Ronald McFancypants. Very nice
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ric03

HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:05 pm
ric03 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:19 pm
When we moved in here we had chickens, goats, hogs, cattle, horses, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, sheep....
There are no close neighbors so the coyotes thought they had it made. Most of our animals are very safe but the goats and sheep are vulnerable. The coyotes wouldn't mess with an adult cow or horse....probably.
After I eliminated one and my dogs got three, they stay away. Also, weare firing guns every day.
The bears were a bigger problem but the dogs take care of those too. Our bee hives got ruined 2 years in a row, even with electric fence. Sinse we have had the Mastiffs, the bears stay away. Except the new one I posted about in another thread. Hes still lurking around.
He will get a lesson if the dogs catch him. :)
Well, I suppose at least you don't have wolves there by the sound of it (I don't know where you are). It's hard to imagine a bear being scared off by dogs, but seeing your dogs I totally believe it! ... I did see one on a documentary one time, it was snuffling around some rocks, in India, and came across a fully grown tiger... It turned tail and I've never seen an adult bear run for it's life in absolute terror before!

We don't get anything, obviously, like that around here. If I'm out early I see the odd fox and occasional deer. The only intruders we have are squirrels! Oh and this guy...

And yes, he got what he came for

Tsal
Forum Decorum

The same for the pipes.
Very nice, Ron! That long Buffalo is sweet!
The Troll Whisperer