What determines whether the pipe smoking is smooth enough?

Chceic

Tsal wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:11 am
Chceic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:20 am Why some people prefer handmade pipes, just because these pipes looked good? I mean when pipes discussing about quality of smoking, what are they really talking about?
People like to discuss pipe smoking. Forum halls would be empty if nobody had different opinions. Your best bet is to buy a pipe you like, smoke it and hang around a forum. It's fun.
Thank you! The reason why I am eager to ask these questions is that I want to make a pipe by myself in the future (just for fun), so I suppose I should know these knowledges for preparation, for that day.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Chceic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:49 am
Tsal wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:11 am
Chceic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:20 am Why some people prefer handmade pipes, just because these pipes looked good? I mean when pipes discussing about quality of smoking, what are they really talking about?
People like to discuss pipe smoking. Forum halls would be empty if nobody had different opinions. Your best bet is to buy a pipe you like, smoke it and hang around a forum. It's fun.
Thank you! The reason why I am eager to ask these questions is that I want to make a pipe by myself in the future (just for fun), so I suppose I should know these knowledges for preparation, for that day.
That's cool! Pipe making is fun if you are serious about it. @Silver makes his own pipes and they are really nice. Maybe he has something to add...
The Troll Whisperer
Silver
Certified Codger

Thanks, @Tsal ! I'm sure the quality of briar is a factor in smoking quality. But, as a hobbyist, I'm limited to what's available. I can't fly to Italy to handpick my briar. So, I just try to make sure that I drill my blocks properly and funnel my stems. I've also like thicker walls, so the pipe doesn't get too hot. I'm not one for oversize chambers at the expense of wall thickness. I don't think that the shape and finish plays into smoking performance. However, if you like the appearance or handfeel/mouthfeel of a pipe, it will probably increase your pleasure.
Silver
Certified Codger

I should have added that I'm a hobbyist, not a professional or an expert!
Middle Earth

Silver wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:49 am I should have added that I'm a hobbyist, not a professional or an expert!
Even though I Heart the Hobbyist categorization, a beloved term, you sir are no hobbyist.
When it comes to pipe creation, you are way beyond that. I only know that some of the pipes you put up were created by you is because you said so. Initially I had no idea. I have a couple of drilled blocks with stems that you are welcome to create with. I will never get around to it.