Got any of your original pipes ?

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

simplepipes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 am I have a pair of Falcons my pipe-smoking Uncle gave to me for my High School Graduation some 52 years past.

-sp
Thats so cool :thumbs:

Ive got some of my uncles pipes but my grandfathers I didnt get any and I dont know what happened to them
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have all except the first one. Although it's packed in the barn somewhere.
God and Texas!
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 am I still have my first two pipes, a Barling and a Savanelli. I bought them both back in '80s at shopping mall tobacco shops and still use them to this day.
Tinderbox ?
One came from a Tinderbox, the other from an independent shop that was very similar.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Here are mine. The Corn Cobs I was big into. Waay before MM did any social media or promoted and before they had a ginormous online following. They did these standard shapes and I got most of the shapes. I almost all of them from Aristocob. I smoked them for a few months before I grabbed the Two Dr. Grabows from the BX on base. I told the story about my first briar pipe in another thread. And I grabbed the Parker Canadian while in Ayr Scotland on my way to my 2nd deployment. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would of grabbed a lot more tobacco and pipes in the UK when I was there! These cobs are all still going strong. The General was my most smoked pipe at one point and then the Mark Twain and Country Gentleman. The Mark Twain probably has the most bowls through it in my collection but the Nuttens are gaining and may have already surpassed it. Also the Unfinished Savinelli 644 was my first Savinelli. Great smoking Pipe, it has a huge fill and the draught hole is drilled to the side of the shank. Still sits center in the bowl and passes a cleaner with a twist.

ImageImage
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Puff nstuff

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm Here are mine. The Corn Cobs I was big into. Waay before MM did any social media or promoted and before they had a ginormous online following. They did these standard shapes and I got most of the shapes. I almost all of them from Aristocob. I smoked them for a few months before I grabbed the Two Dr. Grabows from the BX on base. I told the story about my first briar pipe in another thread. And I grabbed the Parker Canadian while in Ayr Scotland on my way to my 2nd deployment. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would of grabbed a lot more tobacco and pipes in the UK when I was there! These cobs are all still going strong. The General was my most smoked pipe at one point and then the Mark Twain and Country Gentleman. The Mark Twain probably has the most bowls through it in my collection but the Nuttens are gaining and may have already surpassed it. Also the Unfinished Savinelli 644 was my first Savinelli. Great smoking Pipe, it has a huge fill and the draught hole is drilled to the side of the shank. Still sits center in the bowl and passes a cleaner with a twist.

ImageImage
Good stuff, Abe. :thumbs:
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
HSigurdsson

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:03 pm Ive only been smoking a pipe sinse about 2006.
So, I have almost all my original pipes.
Thats how I ended up with over 100 of them.
I have sold a few and lost one to a cow incident, but other than that Ive got them all.
Ok, we gotta hear about the great Pipe Smoking Cow Incident of 2009. Or 1912. Or whenever. Thats gotta be good
Well, it was about, ohhhhh, 2010......im terrible with times.
I was out near our barn smoking a pipe, an old GBD 9456, one of my favorite shapes.
I decided to turn the hay in our cows hay feeder.
I set my pipe on a fence post while I carried out my task.
When I was done I turned toward the fence post and there was a cow smoking a pipe.
I thought, "hey, that looks odd".
Then I noticed my pipe was no longer where I had put it. :)
I went for the cow, she ran, I chased.
It took a bit of yanking but I finally wrestled the pipe from the cows sloppy mouth.
The pipe was crushed flat and absolutely soaked in cow slobber and cud.
In an action I am not proud of, I threw the pipe at the cow.......she got a big kick out of it. She started jumping and spinning and snorting......the sign of a happy cow. :)
I picked the pipe back up to assess the damage and see if there was ANY way to repair it......there was no hope. I threw the pipe into the field...not at the cow......the pipe is still there, somewhere.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 am
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:03 pm Ive only been smoking a pipe sinse about 2006.
So, I have almost all my original pipes.
Thats how I ended up with over 100 of them.
I have sold a few and lost one to a cow incident, but other than that Ive got them all.
Ok, we gotta hear about the great Pipe Smoking Cow Incident of 2009. Or 1912. Or whenever. Thats gotta be good
Well, it was about, ohhhhh, 2010......im terrible with times.
I was out near our barn smoking a pipe, an old GBD 9456, one of my favorite shapes.
I decided to turn the hay in our cows hay feeder.
I set my pipe on a fence post while I carried out my task.
When I was done I turned toward the fence post and there was a cow smoking a pipe.
I thought, "hey, that looks odd".
Then I noticed my pipe was no longer where I had put it. :)
I went for the cow, she ran, I chased.
It took a bit of yanking but I finally wrestled the pipe from the cows sloppy mouth.
The pipe was crushed flat and absolutely soaked in cow slobber and cud.
In an action I am not proud of, I threw the pipe at the cow.......she got a big kick out of it. She started jumping and spinning and snorting......the sign of a happy cow. :)
I picked the pipe back up to assess the damage and see if there was ANY way to repair it......there was no hope. I threw the pipe into the field...not at the cow......the pipe is still there, somewhere.
Great story. I have the visual in my head :lol:
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

That truly is a great story, @HSigurdsson! That one goes under the heading of "you can't make this stuff up". :lol:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
HSigurdsson

Here are the first two REAL pipes I ever owned.
At first I bought a very cheap briar pipe from ebay that was horrible.
I joined the original Smokers Forums with my limited knowledge and my one $8 ebay pipe.
I was advised to buy a cob or two, so I did.
Shortly after a sweet old guy from the forum sent me the finest care package a guy could ever get. I was truly blown away.
The guy went by "Trucker Chuck" but his name was Chuck Thompson I believe.
He was in his 80s and said he was slowing down pipe smoking after many decades.
He gave me tons of advice and wanted to give me a "little boost" to the start of my pipe collection.
He sent me FIVE Peterson System pipes of different shapes, a 1936 Peterson Billiard, a Lane Era Charatans Make bent Billiard, a 1971 Dunhill Shell(my birth year), a Castello Sea Rock 55, a Celius Root Pawn and a Masta Patent Standard.
All were in excellent shape but a couple were "well loved".
I still have most of them but by HIS suggestion I sold off four of the Pete Systems to explore other brands. I wish I would have kept them but they were in very high demand back then(2006) so I made some good coin off them. :)
He passed away shortly after. Ill grab some pics of the rest later.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 am Here are the first two REAL pipes I ever owned.
At first I bought a very cheap briar pipe from ebay that was horrible.
I joined the original Smokers Forums with my limited knowledge and my one $8 ebay pipe.
I was advised to buy a cob or two, so I did.
Shortly after a sweet old guy from the forum sent me the finest care package a guy could ever get. I was truly blown away.
The guy went by "Trucker Chuck" but his name was Chuck Thompson I believe.
He was in his 80s and said he was slowing down pipe smoking after many decades.
He gave me tons of advice and wanted to give me a "little boost" to the start of my pipe collection.
He sent me FIVE Peterson System pipes of different shapes, a 1936 Peterson Billiard, a Lane Era Charatans Make bent Billiard, a 1971 Dunhill Shell(my birth year), a Castello Sea Rock 55, a Celius Root Pawn and a Masta Patent Standard.
All were in excellent shape but a couple were "well loved".
I still have most of them but by HIS suggestion I sold off four of the Pete Systems to explore other brands. I wish I would have kept them but they were in very high demand back then(2006) so I made some good coin off them. :)
He passed away shortly after. Ill grab some pics of the rest later.
Nice worn Cobs with many years left. That is a great story. And pretty mindblowing how Pipe Forum memories are forever ;) The Pipe Community is the most generous i’ve been a part of