I’m Moving

HSigurdsson

I have a friend who was stationed there in the early 1990s.
He also worked at the missile facility.
Not to scare you but according to him, there are/were more suicides and AWOL there than any other base in the country. Apparently due to the cold and the desolate location.
I spent 24 months in the mountains of North Central Alaska doing my dissertation in the early 1990s. Negative 40 degrees for weeks at a time isnt fun but survivable with the right attitude.
Of course you will have warm and comfy digs......I had a cabin with a wood burning stove and spent weeks at a time in a 4 man tent in the bush. :)
HSigurdsson

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 pm Next week is my last week here in South GA. If you have my address, toss it. When I get settled into our new place in ND, if you need it, just let me know.

I can’t wait as it is already 90 freakin degrees in this hell hole!

My house hasn’t sold yet, as the market is not going well. I just hope we can sell it before it all crashes again.
Ha, we have been trying to sell a place in NYS for years!!!
Its REALLY tough to sell any property in the worst state in the union!!
But, we have a HUGE piece of land we are trying to sell and most of it is "land locked" with no road access. :) which makes it 38 times more difficult.
Good luck with your sale and move.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:57 pm I have a friend who was stationed there in the early 1990s.
He also worked at the missile facility.
Not to scare you but according to him, there are/were more suicides and AWOL there than any other base in the country. Apparently due to the cold and the desolate location.
I spent 24 months in the mountains of North Central Alaska doing my dissertation in the early 1990s. Negative 40 degrees for weeks at a time isnt fun but survivable with the right attitude.
Of course you will have warm and comfy digs......I had a cabin with a wood burning stove and spent weeks at a time in a 4 man tent in the bush. :)
No worries man. I’ve heard it all. One good thing, they just imposed that anyone who arrives after April 1st 2024 gets cold weather pay. So i’ll get a nice $2000 in July. I’m really looking forward to it. Can’t wait to see snow again!
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:02 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 pm Next week is my last week here in South GA. If you have my address, toss it. When I get settled into our new place in ND, if you need it, just let me know.

My house hasn’t sold yet, as the market is not going well. I just hope we can sell it before it all crashes again.
But, we have a HUGE piece of land we are trying to sell and most of it is "land locked" with no road access. :) which makes it 38 times more difficult.
I was just visiting in Long Island a few weeks ago. Man, it has gotten so much worse. I could never go back there
HSigurdsson

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:06 pm

I was just visiting in Long Island a few weeks ago. Man, it has gotten so much worse. I could never go back there
Luckily I live as far away from NYC as possible in NYS.
I live in a very ummm......a......."Red" county with sensible law makers(if there is such a thing) and very pro freedom and pro "lock up the bad guys". Unfortunately we still live under the iron fist of the state, but our Sheriff and local politicians are very, very anti NYS elite. Around here its all about family, god and guns. :)
The East side of the state is literally falling apart....both the infrastructure and the humanity. I haven't been East of Olean NY for over 20 years.....and do not plan on going there anytime soon.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 am
Piping Abe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:06 pm
Luckily I live as far away from NYC as possible in NYS.
I live in a very ummm......a......."Red" county with sensible law makers(if there is such a thing) and very pro freedom and pro "lock up the bad guys". Unfortunately we still live under the iron fist of the state, but our Sheriff and local politicians are very, very anti NYS elite. Around here its all about family, god and guns. :)
The East side of the state is literally falling apart....both the infrastructure and the humanity. I haven't been East of Olean NY for over 20 years.....and do not plan on going there anytime soon.
I know what you mean. The part I hate about it the most is that no matter where you live in states like NY and CA, your taxes still all go to the cities
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

So far i’ve gotten rid of 5 truckloads of stuff. Filled my Durango up 5 times. I got one more to do tomorrow. Everything is out of the attic. Still have room to pull the Wife’s car in the garage. Next Sunday is the day I start driving
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Packers got everything squared away today. Loading is on Sunday and after that the fun begins

This is mainly just kitchen stuff. They packed 80 boxes and that doesnt include furniture and large items

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I hate moving - just saying. I have done enough of it...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm I hate moving - just saying. I have done enough of it...
I get to do it again in 3 years. :lol: