How to choose a great pipe!

Puff nstuff

simplepipes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:59 pm
    Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:37 pm Whats a shame is , is that most people theses days dont actually go out and buy a pipe . Most everything is online and its basically pictures and wait and find out

So if its a wait and find out situation , then its just that . As far as a Dunhill pipe , they are very good . The handmade pipes are also very good . Really , a pipe is a chunk of wood with two hole with a stem attached with one hole . Thats all they are and i the briar is cured properly and the holes drilled properly , then theres a good chance of a good smoke . I think Dunhill probably has it figure out and which ever handmade pipe maker too ... but not all

Ive been smoking a pipe since 78 or 79 and have been through every ridiculous " pipe phase " that probably exists and heres what Id suggest . ... Normally , Id say get a Savinelli or a Kaywoodie product but I dont know whats up with Kaywoodie at the moment . Many online site mention specs as far as size and weight , so that may help determine an outcome .

If it were me , as ar as a actory pipe , Id buy a Savinelli . If I were to buy a handmade , Id buy a Randy Wiley , Mark Tinsky or Poul Winslow pipe . Those guys have been at it since the 70's and probably have it figured out by now
    I would like to commission a pipe from Randy Wiley but do not know how to reach him being a non-participant in social media.

-sp
    His contact info can be found here:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Wiley
    Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
    simplepipes
    Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:35 pm
    simplepipes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:59 pm
      Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:37 pm Whats a shame is , is that most people theses days dont actually go out and buy a pipe . Most everything is online and its basically pictures and wait and find out

So if its a wait and find out situation , then its just that . As far as a Dunhill pipe , they are very good . The handmade pipes are also very good . Really , a pipe is a chunk of wood with two hole with a stem attached with one hole . Thats all they are and i the briar is cured properly and the holes drilled properly , then theres a good chance of a good smoke . I think Dunhill probably has it figure out and which ever handmade pipe maker too ... but not all

Ive been smoking a pipe since 78 or 79 and have been through every ridiculous " pipe phase " that probably exists and heres what Id suggest . ... Normally , Id say get a Savinelli or a Kaywoodie product but I dont know whats up with Kaywoodie at the moment . Many online site mention specs as far as size and weight , so that may help determine an outcome .

If it were me , as ar as a actory pipe , Id buy a Savinelli . If I were to buy a handmade , Id buy a Randy Wiley , Mark Tinsky or Poul Winslow pipe . Those guys have been at it since the 70's and probably have it figured out by now
      I would like to commission a pipe from Randy Wiley but do not know how to reach him being a non-participant in social media.

-sp
      His contact info can be found here:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Wiley
      Thank you . . .

-sp
      My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .