Burley Blends revisited

beeftip

When I first took up the pipe back in '08, I really struggled to find a blend that didn't scorch my tongue (turns out I just needed to slow down). As such, I went on a burley quest and ordered 5 samples from C&D. The blends were as follows: OJK, Bag Piper, Big 'n Burley, Billy Budd, and I think Burley Kake. After trying a few bowls of each and concluding, "Meh. Bland" I jarred them up and forgot about them. Most likely I smoked them too fast.

After reading the Benchmark Burley post, I figured maybe I needed to revisit some of these. This morning I loaded up a bowl of OJK for the commute to work.

My conclusion as I pulled in to the parking lot at work, "Meh. Still bland." I smoke slow now, by the way.

So, my question is this: does burley lose something after being stored for 10 years?

I ended up being a Vaper guy who also enjoys English blends as well as Kentucky Dark Fired. Maybe I'm just not a burley man. I am, however, a burly man as I have an axe, several flannel shirts, and aspire to have my image emblazoned upon paper towel packaging. (I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay.)

I really want to enjoy that nutty, chocolately flavor that is often associated with burley. Again, I'm a burly man so I feel that I do need to get away from the fruity flavors of my beloved Vaper's from time to time. Maybe I just need to get some less aged/new tins of burley blends.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I recommend OJK, Big-n-Burley, and Billy Budd to people who want something that is not bland. They are almost chewy with flavor for me. Different people have different taste buds though. I can believe you just don't have the burley gene or something.

I have not experienced burley losing or improving taste with age. That is not to say it does not change in some way, but it would have to be pretty subtle. Virginias change with age for sure.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I started smoking a pipe around the same time you did.. and for pretty much the first 3-4 years of my pipe smoking journey, I really disliked Burley. It remember thinking it tasted like someone had set fire to a bowl full of grapenuts, or maybe some dank cardboard. I pretty much only smoked Latakia blends, as they were easy to get a lot of flavor and complexity from. My love for Burley sort of came along with a serious bout of PAD, where it seemed I was eternally breaking in new pipes. You can imagine I begrudgingly smoked a LOT of Carter Hall and Prince Albert getting those things caked up and ready for the good stuff. Something sort of weird happened though, and I found that I had began to enjoy the easy going, thoughtless smoke that I had once found totally monotonous.
Could just be you don't like the flavors.. but it could also be that you haven't spent enough time - and please forgive the pipe smoker cliche - to fully understand them.

I personally don't really care for the sort of "rawness" that most of the C&D Burley has, but others really dig it. You might want to try something like Solani Aged Burley Flake, or maybe even Wessex Burley Slice to see if they still seem "meh" to you.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

C&D burley blends can be rather so so when their fresh. Most say their a little harsh, but not to my taste. After they sit for a few months they open up taste wise. C&D makes the best burley blends there are IMO. Try Pegasus for a tasteful blend.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

I really enjoy Solani Aged Burley flake.. And Crooner by C&D.
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I'm opposite of father Tom . glp , h&h and c&d burley .... Meh , imo . They are alright but too sharp compared to all other burley ive smoked

Wessex Burley slices.. Btw , burley comes in slices not flakes because it just sounds better and God smokes burley ( its true ) . Anyway , Wessex burley is sooo similar to the legendary edgeworth slices .. Its a fabulous smoke . Solani is good stuff but goes off in flavor for me ( " metallic " ) . anyway , if it ever becomes available .. Snag some Wessex . the reason why no one else has a burley like wessex is because they are unable to do it . if they could they would but they cant . challange them to do so .. Id love to see it happen and be readily available . that woukd rock ! I wish PA came in slices or SWR too

You may enjoy the uhlees ( dont know if i spelled that right ) or watch city burley stuff . they are steamed a little and are softer abd have a mild something or other in all ive tried from them i believe . they are both real good at what they do

I love IRC blends but i don't reccomend their KoKo blend for those not masochistic . its a trip and funky and kinda strong . I like it when in the mood for it . it has a topnote that i can't figure and you have to smoke it easy because it bites a bit if you dont . its one of those blends you have to practise with to nail it . is it worth it .. ? ... Its a trip

My goodness , i just rambled
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Billy Joe

How about you go in a different direction and try a mildly aromatic burley. Classic burley kake or Boswell’s Premium Burley are two blends that let the burley shine through but have a mildly sweet flavor. This could scratch the burley itch without the sour-ish aftertaste some get with a straight burley.
beeftip

I grabbed a pouch of Carter Hall on my lunch break yesterday. Because, why not?

At first it reminded me of every aromatic I've ever smoked without the cherry, or vanilla, or kiwi raisin scent. I loaded another bowl for the drive home and for whatever reason, it tasted much better. Kind of caramel, chocolate, nutty. But not overly so. It's pretty good!

I guess I'll be on the lookout for Wessex Burley Slices. Seems to be out of stock at most places. Maybe I'll luck out and it will be back in stock at the same time as Peterson 3 P's. I'll probably also win the lottery that day whilst riding around on a unicorn.

Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

beeftip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 am I grabbed a pouch of Carter Hall on my lunch break yesterday. Because, why not?

At first it reminded me of every aromatic I've ever smoked without the cherry, or vanilla, or kiwi raisin scent. I loaded another bowl for the drive home and for whatever reason, it tasted much better. Kind of caramel, chocolate, nutty. But not overly so. It's pretty good!

I guess I'll be on the lookout for Wessex Burley Slices. Seems to be out of stock at most places. Maybe I'll luck out and it will be back in stock at the same time as Peterson 3 P's. I'll probably also win the lottery that day whilst riding around on a unicorn.

Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen.
With CH, the first day or so the pouch is open, you really smell the topping. After that it settles way down and it just tastes lightly sweet and cocoa-ey to me. It's such a mindless smoke that it's hard not to like it. I go back and forth between PA and CH a lot, but I think I prefer PA because it's a little heavier on the Burley, and just as mindless.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Sutliff's Heine's Blend is a nice Burley, not so much a cocoa bomb but it's good.
The Troll Whisperer