Coffee

User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 7534
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:15 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:41 pm
I have been drinking Bustello and just switched back to Community w/chicory. I use 2/3 cup of ground coffee per "12 cup" pot. I am not sure how many scoops are in 2/3 cup of ground coffee.
I see where the confusion came in. My scoop is 1/3 cup, so we're on the same page with two scoops for 12 cups. Separated at birth again.
Great minds think alike is all I can say.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 4):
Kevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleMaynardThelonious monkfish
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 pm

So your both sippin' hot water. Lol This is where the heavy nic comes into play.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 5):
MaynardThelonious monkfishIslayphileKevin KeithFr_Tom
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Haven't had coffee, or any caffeine, in about a week. Can easily slip into ruts where I drink several liters of coffee a day so I break from it now and again. But when I feel like making some, likely next week, probably even Monday, it'll have about 2 or 3 scoops worth of sludge at the bottom of each cup. Either use a 50oz double wall stainless press(can't say how many broken glass ones I have under my belt) or an old espresso machine. Bustello is great in the machine and quite fancy with some thinned out and steamed coconut milk.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
IslayphilehoutenzielBruyere_RoyaleFr_Tom
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm

I still use my keurig in the morning but I no longer buy the k-cups. I snagged one of those reusable filter jobbers and fill it with community. Also snagged a cheap French press that I also make with community. Oh and I picked up a grinder that I will also be using for (you guessed it) community coffee :lol:
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
Bruyere_RoyaleFr_TomThelonious monkfish
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm
I still use my keurig in the morning but I no longer buy the k-cups. I snagged one of those reusable filter jobbers and fill it with community. Also snagged a cheap French press that I also make with community. Oh and I picked up a grinder that I will also be using for (you guessed it) community coffee :lol:
Nice!
Last week I burnt out my grinder and my brother in law just gave me a bag of beans from Colombia. He was there visiting his family. I'm going to see if our local coffee house will grind them for me as I never buy whole beans anymore. I don't see buying a grinder just for this one bag.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishMr Beardsley
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 7534
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 pm
So your both sippin' hot water. Lol This is where the heavy nic comes into play.
I guess I compensate for weak coffee with Picayune or something. If it makes any difference, I drink a lot of it. The remarkable thing is that everyone always complains that my coffee is too robust and strong for "normal" people. I just nod my head and pour another cup.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 4):
Bruyere_RoyaleThelonious monkfishMr BeardsleyKevin Keith
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:07 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 pm
So your both sippin' hot water. Lol This is where the heavy nic comes into play.
I guess I compensate for weak coffee with Picayune or something. If it makes any difference, I drink a lot of it. The remarkable thing is that everyone always complains that my coffee is too robust and strong for "normal" people. I just nod my head and pour another cup.
Nobody complains about my coffee, they spit it out and look at me with disgust and confusion or smile and say it's perfect. Always eyeball it but tried the measuring thing before, believe it was around 2 scoops per 8 ounces.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyFr_Tom
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm
I still use my keurig in the morning but I no longer buy the k-cups. I snagged one of those reusable filter jobbers and fill it with community. Also snagged a cheap French press that I also make with community. Oh and I picked up a grinder that I will also be using for (you guessed it) community coffee :lol:
Nice!
Last week I burnt out my grinder and my brother in law just gave me a bag of beans from Colombia. He was there visiting his family. I'm going to see if our local coffee house will grind them for me as I never buy whole beans anymore. I don't see buying a grinder just for this one bag.
I wasn't going to buy one either but I was on the bed bath & beyond site for something else and happened to notice they had one on sale. Then since I had an email address that wasn't registered with them I was able to get another 20% off of it and it made my order qualify for free shipping. I think it ended up costing around $29 so I jumped right on down the rabbit hole like I always do
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
Thelonious monkfishFr_TomBruyere_Royale
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:19 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm
I still use my keurig in the morning but I no longer buy the k-cups. I snagged one of those reusable filter jobbers and fill it with community. Also snagged a cheap French press that I also make with community. Oh and I picked up a grinder that I will also be using for (you guessed it) community coffee :lol:
Nice!
Last week I burnt out my grinder and my brother in law just gave me a bag of beans from Colombia. He was there visiting his family. I'm going to see if our local coffee house will grind them for me as I never buy whole beans anymore. I don't see buying a grinder just for this one bag.
I wasn't going to buy one either but I was on the bed bath & beyond site for something else and happened to notice they had one on sale. Then since I had an email address that wasn't registered with them I was able to get another 20% off of it and it made my order qualify for free shipping. I think it ended up costing around $29 so I jumped right on down the rabbit hole like I always do
Goodwill often has them dirt cheap. Pretty easy to clean them up, last one I bought was about 6 bucks.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyBruyere_Royale
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:19 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm
I still use my keurig in the morning but I no longer buy the k-cups. I snagged one of those reusable filter jobbers and fill it with community. Also snagged a cheap French press that I also make with community. Oh and I picked up a grinder that I will also be using for (you guessed it) community coffee :lol:
Nice!
Last week I burnt out my grinder and my brother in law just gave me a bag of beans from Colombia. He was there visiting his family. I'm going to see if our local coffee house will grind them for me as I never buy whole beans anymore. I don't see buying a grinder just for this one bag.
I wasn't going to buy one either but I was on the bed bath & beyond site for something else and happened to notice they had one on sale. Then since I had an email address that wasn't registered with them I was able to get another 20% off of it and it made my order qualify for free shipping. I think it ended up costing around $29 so I jumped right on down the rabbit hole like I always do
That's a good deal. I have to replace it with something because my wife uses it for spices, I'm just not buying another bean specific grinder.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by:
Mr Beardsley
Tsal... 🎳 Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Post Reply