Rim darkening

Bigflo

Is there any tips or tricks for removing rim darkening

Thanks in advance
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

I like to roll a q-tip in my mouth and use the saliva to clean the rim. Works a treat!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bigflo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 pm Is there any tips or tricks for removing rim darkening

Thanks in advance
If you can't remove it with just a moistened swab or paper towel, then it's likely that the wax and/or finish over the briar has been darkened. I've been successful using vodka (40% ABV) very carefully to lift the darkened areas without hitting stain, using a q-tip and very lightly going over the dark spots. You will have to re-wax any areas you do this to. If the darkening has hit briar.. then you are going to have to sand it out and re-finish the rim.
Most cases though, it's better to just leave existing darkened areas alone, as it's pretty easy to cause more issues trying to address it. In this case the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really rings true.

Note- I should probably add that you should not attempt to lift darkened areas with 90+% iso alcohol, as it is extremely aggressive and hard to control.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
After seeing what happened to your/MD's pipes, I was a bit hesitant to suggest it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm Murphy's soap will also clean the rim. You can always ignore it and build up some rim cake.
After seeing what happened to your/MD's pipes, I was a bit hesitant to suggest it.
If you apply just a small amount to the dark areas of the rim it works good.
The Troll Whisperer
Bigflo

I was curious if Murphy’s would work does to damage the pipe or just clean it
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I just build rimcake and figure it protects the rim. This is just a modest start. I have only been smoking this pipe since last March, and it was NOS. The picture is from July, so I have made a little progress since.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm I just build rimcake and figure it protects the rim. This is just a modest start. I have only been smoking this pipe since last March, and it was NOS. The picture is from July, so I have made a little progress since.

Here is a current picture.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bigflo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm I was curious if Murphy’s would work does to damage the pipe or just clean it
I will not damage the pipe, just clean it. When you apply it with a qtip wait until the foam starts bubbling and turning brown then wipe it off with a clean qtip, not a lot of pressure.
The Troll Whisperer