eBay Pipe Cleaning

Peacock

Picked up a few new pipes over the past few weeks, just rebuilding my rotation after a 9 year layoff and trying out makers/styles/shapes to see what suits me.

First up is a KBB Yello-bole Dublin that I snagged for $12.50 shipped. Tiny little thing and it reeked when I got it so decided to take on my first salt-alcohol treatment with Everclear and lots and lots of pipe cleaners through the stem. Had a nice 1/4" cake that needed reaming too. Smells better after a day and it's been resting for a day now, so we will see how it smokes tonight!

Stem has some kind of gunk on it with fingerprints so I think the original owner Must've used some wax to try to keep the stem nice - don't think it's a vulcanite stem since it feels harder and isn't oxidized at all.ImageImageImage
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I like Yello-Boles and think they are an underappreciated brand. Good catch!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Nice pipe! Could be that it is Vulcanite, but it is of the higher quality variety. It also is possible that S.M. Frank used Nylon on some of the Yello Bole pipes like they did on their Medico line. I am not well versed enough in all their different lines to say so for sure though.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

That's a good looking pipe. Hope she smokes well for you
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am I like Yello-Boles and think they are an underappreciated brand. Good catch!
I'll +1 this. My only complaint with yellow bowls was the big yellow O logo on their stems. It turned some of their classy looking pipes into cartoon-ish looking things.

I had a great looking bent with a thick shank, thick stem, gorgeous birdseye and no pits... this bowl was absolutely beautiful. And then it had this huge yellow Herbie-the-love-bug sized O drawing attention from it all. I mean I could have flagged airplanes with this huge yellow O!

Compared to other yellow bowl stems this O definitely looked enlarged. I figure maybe they increased the size of this O to adjust for this thicker stem. Too bad this was before I had my blank stem supply and could have replaced it. I just couldn't see myself ever smoking it outside the garage and ended up letting it go. :|
Last edited by Longshanks on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Peacock

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am I like Yello-Boles and think they are an underappreciated brand. Good catch!
I'll +1 this. My only complaint with yellow bowls was the big yellow O logo on their stems. It turned some of their classy looking pipes into cartoon-ish looking things.

I had a great looking bent with a thick shank, thick stem, gorgeous birdseye and no pits... this bowl was absolutely beautiful. And then it had this huge yellow Herbie-the-love-bug sized O drawing attention from it all. I mean I could have flagged airplanes with this huge yellow O! Compared to other yellow bowl stems I figure like they increased the size of this O to adjust for the thicker stem. Sadly, this was before I had my blank stem supply and could have replaced it. I just couldn't see myself ever smoking it outside the garage, so I let it go. :|
As a University of Oregon graduate, couldn't be happier about the yellow O :clap:
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm

I had a great looking bent with a thick shank, thick stem, gorgeous birdseye and no pits... this bowl was absolutely beautiful. And then it had this huge yellow Herbie-the-love-bug sized O drawing attention from it all. I mean I could have flagged airplanes with this huge yellow O! Compared to other yellow bowl stems I figure like they increased the size of this O to adjust for the thicker stem. Sadly, this was before I had my blank stem supply and could have replaced it. I just couldn't see myself ever smoking it outside the garage, so I let it go. :|
In Oregon, a huge yellow "O" on the side of your pipe is considered to be a good thing :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm
As a University of Oregon graduate, couldn't be happier about the yellow O :clap:
LOL... I was thinking about that, too. In fact I was going to mention if I was a sports fan of a team with a large yellow O, I would have kept it. ;)
Longshanks
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am Nice pipe! Could be that it is Vulcanite, but it is of the higher quality variety. It also is possible that S.M. Frank used Nylon on some of the Yello Bole pipes like they did on their Medico line. I am not well versed enough in all their different lines to say so for sure though.
Yello Bole was sort of started as a way to sell the briar that didn't meet KW standards at the time. Some real gems can be found. That's a nice one and being an Imperial I'm betting the stem is Vulcanite a former owner waxed with Carnauba.

Think I'm down to one Yello Bole and it's still on the to do rack but it's also an Imperial, with Vulcanite stem(note the lack of oxidation, KW quality rubber), and ties into the side discussion about the merits of the yello O. This one has two and is a keeper, I'll get around to it one day.

Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Yep, O in the shank is definitely a keeper. :thumbs:
Longshanks