What Are You Smoking February 2019

slowroll
Founding Member

Smoking HH Vintage Syrian with 15% perique in my Iron Horse stack. The perique works nicely with this blend.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
unregistered1

I'm just starting some Brigham's Hudson's Bay in a Peterson Nickel Spigot 69 Rusticated.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
9 Iron
Founding Member

slowroll wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm Smoking HH Vintage Syrian with 15% perique
:o Heretic! That’s akin to adding cheap vodka to holy water.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

2016 Condor Long Cut in a Westbrook pot

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

DFU, MM straight Twain, Lapsang Souchong in the gifted Yeti.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

9 Iron wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm Well I just had a most interesting smoke! I believe I’ve posted before about the old railroad tracks that parallel a tiny creek just a short distance from here. Well today the sun came out so I grabbed a Geppetto lovat, filled it with some HH Burley flake and went down to sit by the creek and watch the birds and squirrels while I smoked. Just a five minute walk and there’s a spot right by the water with a downed tree that makes for a good seat, this is a little hideaway for me when I want to get away from people. I’ve been traipsing up and down the length of this creek for 12 years, seen a couple rare sights from time to time. A pair of river otters once, some unusual birds, but this little creek gets low and warm in summer and I’ve never seen a fish if any kind in there, not once. The creek dumps out into a lake a few miles down, and decades back before the dam at the lake was built there were runs of salmon and steelhead that were said to come up the tiniest creeks in the area. I’ve never seen it, nor has anyone I know. Until today.

I don’t know if they are salmon, steelhead or huge wild rainbows from the lake. The rainbows are reported to have a very small population in that lake, and I’m thinking these must either be rainbows or some landlocked steelhead that managed to survive all these years in that lake. I just dumb-lucked right into a group of three, two males and a female, spawning in a creek you could cross in three big bounding steps. Unbelievable. Photo attached. I have some video too but not sure how I’d post that.

The biggest fish, the female, is about two and a half feet long, the males maybe 22-24 inches.

Very cool, sir! Thanks for posting!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

After a supper of Chinese leftovers, I had a bowl of Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew in this Calabresi Canadian. Man, that's good stuff. Excellent stuff, in fact. Rawther high clahs fer a OTC codger piper like me, but lovely just the same!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
9 Iron
Founding Member

Here’s a video of the fish I was able to post on facebook.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Now I've got Hair O' the Dog (OJK/BLWB) burning in this Algerian Briar billiard. Brownie Caramel Cream root beer on the side.
EDIT- Gotta just add that this sweet root beer really goes well with this tobacco!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:49 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Ooooh...nice grain!
It is a beautiful pipe all around. It is "Straight Grain" stamped. It might be some fancy grade. I can't remember.
It is a "grade c," whatever that means.

Picayune in a BB&S pencil-shanked pot

Dunno but that sure is a heck of nice pipe!
The Troll Whisperer