Brylon

avid

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:39 pm My brylons from the Etsy lady got here yesterday. I'll post some pictures tomorrow in the latest pipe acquisitions thread.
sadness... :bang:
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

avid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:56 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:13 pm I worry about the meers breaking breaking and I am overcautious with them.
but you have zip ties and know how to use them
True that - the Medico zip-tie meer works better with Picayune than any of my other meers. I figure the zip-tie fix means people know I am not putting on airs.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:39 pm My brylons from the Etsy lady got here yesterday. I'll post some pictures tomorrow in the latest pipe acquisitions thread.
So it's gonna take two days to get out of the chair? Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:04 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:13 pm I worry about the meers breaking breaking and I am overcautious with them.
True that - the Medico zip-tie meer works better with Picayune than any of my other meers. I figure the zip-tie fix means people know I am not putting on airs.
In a short while you'll probably be able to remove it. The zip tie on the one you sent me ended up being useless with all the resin.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

avid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:02 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:40 pm
avid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pmjust say NO
You never smoked a brylon. It's guys like you that give M79 a bad rap!
never is a long time, but to pack brylon, not long enough, synthetic counterpart of chinese cob...

p.s. i like m79
Now your just shootin' from the hip.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

The people who spout the typical garbage about brylon, eg, they're heavy, they're hot, what have you...I guarantee they haven't ever touched a brylon pipe, much less ever smoked one. And if they have smoked one and persist in the calumny, it's because they don't know how to smoke a pipe, or how to adjust to different materials. Brylon pipes are perfectly functional smoking instruments in the hands of a competent smoker.

Now, there are legitimate claims regarding the material itself. It's fake looking, there's no grain, it doesn't color. Brylon is my last choice in a pipe but at the same time they're kind of fun. I like the 1960s vibe that comes with them, sort of a space age development that never really caught on big time but that still hangs on. They're still selling them after all. Open your mind, open your heart to the soullessness of the bry. It's calling you if you listen real close.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:04 pm

In a short while you'll probably be able to remove it. The zip tie on the one you sent me ended up being useless with all the resin.
It will be a while yet. There is some internal tension that keeps the cracks "spread" when cold and tight when warm. It could be expansion that does this, but that zip-tie is pretty tight.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

avid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:02 pm
never is a long time, but to pack brylon, not long enough, synthetic counterpart of chinese cob...

p.s. i like m79
My Chinese cob got bored out no less, and it was a pretty good smoke. I need to get a new stem for it. Maybe I will do that and work it back into the rotation to complete the endurance test. I am not sure how many smokes I got out of it before the stem broke. It was probably on the order of 50 or so. There might be guys out there who never smoke a single pipe in the "collection" 50 times.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:12 pm
The people who spout the typical garbage about brylon, eg, they're heavy, they're hot, what have you...I guarantee they haven't ever touched a brylon pipe, much less ever smoked one. And if they have smoked one and persist in the calumny, it's because they don't know how to smoke a pipe, or how to adjust to different materials. Brylon pipes are perfectly functional smoking instruments in the hands of a competent smoker.

Now, there are legitimate claims regarding the material itself. It's fake looking, there's no grain, it doesn't color. Brylon is my last choice in a pipe but at the same time they're kind of fun. I like the 1960s vibe that comes with them, sort of a space age development that never really caught on big time but that still hangs on. They're still selling them after all. Open your mind, open your heart to the soullessness of the bry. It's calling you if you listen real close.
This is why I bought a brylon, for the nostalgia and it turns out they smoke well.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:12 pm

This is why I bought a brylon, for the nostalgia and it turns out they smoke well.
Exactly. It's nostalgic. It's part of the history of smoking. I can't comment on the smoking properties
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin