Your Blend Recipes

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm Got my Captain Black 5 for 5 pouch deal that P&C offered recently

I am blending all of those
1 part CB to 2 parts SPRT

got them jarred up for a few months to see what happens

if nothing else i have diluted the Black Cavendish down to a smokable ratio for me
and hopefully the SPRT will retain the aromatic qualities that the CB blends offer

i think i will call these blends "Spirit of Captain Black "

smoking the CB Gold right away because i already know i like that !

:lurk:
That is probably about the right ratio to give it a little flavor and work on the room note a little. I find that the black cavendish blends are weak, and I will puff too much - even when there is some SPRT in there. A pouch of 5 Bros cut up with some scissors so it will mix in will solve that problem.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

My press was starting to show signs of stress near the end cap, and so my curiosity got the best of me. I pulled the SPRT plug out and am having some now in the SP bulldog.
This stuff is crazy dense. I had a really hard time even cutting it. It tastes richer, sweeter, and kind of reminds me of wheat bread.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Here is a cut shot. I probably could have got it a lot denser with a tad bit more hydration. SPRT is pretty dry, and even getting it misted wasn't quite enough I don't think.

Not to bad for something meant to make noodles :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Got impatient and decided to pull the plug.....it's pretty good stuff!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Round 2 is the codger plug. Just pulled it out of the press and it's right at 1.25" thick and 75g. Dense is an understatement. Not sure if it's a full fatality yet but the liner pressed out with the plug :lol:

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

"the bastard" has entered the chute. I use this thread to share ideas with all you guys as well as keep my own record of what the heck I'm doing. Anyway, the contents:

0.8oz c&d green river vanilla
0.8oz lane bca
0.8oz c&d blending latakia
0.2oz granulated perique
0.1oz dark fired Kentucky

I'm hoping the smattering of perique and dfk give it some backbone. Thinking maybe a 5 day press this time around and hopefully I won't have to chop up my fingers taking it out again (my own fault for not putting on my gloves)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Random observation. Seems like the Cavendish base on this one was able to be pressed to pretty much its maximum compression (and to pretty much the same thickness as the first 2 finished at) on the initial tightening of the screw. I was able to give it a very small turn since then but nowhere near as much as a VA base. There is also some light seepage of liquid
steamboat

Ok, i think the home made plugs look amazing! I want to play. 2 Questions.

(1) What kind of presses are these? I searched Amazon, and all i came up with are pasta and pollen presses. Will these work just fine? Any preference over the other?

(2) If you guys are pressing cut tobacco, are you guys essentially making crumble cakes? If you were to use whole leaf wouldn't that press the tobacco into a plug to be able to be cut into flakes? Can those circle presses, press whole leaf, hard enough to cut flakes?

The possibilities are endless, and my brain in going into over drive with ideas.
steamboat

My goal is to create like an exclusive tropical island blend. Im thinking of pressing:

1 ounce Frog Morton Cellar
.5oz War Horse Bar
.5oz C&D Espresso

and spraying it down with Blue Curaco liquour, before pressing.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

steamboat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm Ok, i think the home made plugs look amazing! I want to play. 2 Questions.

(1) What kind of presses are these? I searched Amazon, and all i came up with are pasta and pollen presses. Will these work just fine? Any preference over the other?

(2) If you guys are pressing cut tobacco, are you guys essentially making crumble cakes? If you were to use whole leaf wouldn't that press the tobacco into a plug to be able to be cut into flakes? Can those circle presses, press whole leaf, hard enough to cut flakes?

The possibilities are endless, and my brain in going into over drive with ideas.
We are using these Pasta Presses to make the plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/Newcreativetop-S ... way&sr=8-3

And as far as using cut tobacco, that doesn't seem to be an issue. The plug I made is so dense that you could easily cut a flake off of it if you used a sharp enough knife. It was so hard that my pocket knife wouldn't even cut it without some serious sawing. You could probably press whole leaf easy enough as long as you ripped it into roundish chunks.
― Theodore Roosevelt