Sitting in the dark

CoreyR
Founding Member

Last night we had a pretty bad storm come through my area of Dinwiddle, Virginia. Of course, our power was gone with the wind, literally. I keep a good supply of candles, candle holders and oil lamps. My wife is always crying about "why do keep all of that?" No crying about it last night. LOL
Anyway, while the thunderstorm was raging, wind was whipping trees around outside and lightening was flashing, I filled up my Baki meer with some Exotic Orange and lit up. Took a seat on the sofa and was instantly the bearer of a terrified, 50 pound, border collie/horse, baby who was shaking like a leaf.
My other two mutts, another border collie and a yorkie, soon joined him.
I spent the rest of the storm sitting there, smoking the meer with the fragrant smell of Exotic Orange wafting about, and three shaking dogs piled across me. In the, mostly, dark. LOL It was a pleasant evening.
Middle Earth

Our dogs shake when there is thunder
Hope your electricity is restored soon
Sometimes no electricity, at least for a shot spell, is a nice change of pace
CoreyR
Founding Member

Oh, they got it back on about bedtime. The whole thing just made me think about how nice it was to slow things down. No TV, no "Smart device" crap, nothing. Fortunately, we had just finished dinner. Just sat with the pups, smoked the pipe and a bit later, read a book...Ok, that was from my Kindle.
Middle Earth

CoreyR wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:59 am Oh, they got it back on about bedtime. The whole thing just made me think about how nice it was to slow things down. No TV, no "Smart device" crap, nothing. Fortunately, we had just finished dinner. Just sat with the pups, smoked the pipe and a bit later, read a book...Ok, that was from my Kindle.
Love my Kindle Paper White
Used to love physical books
BDS. - Book Derangement Syndrome
I threw away over 1,000 pounds of books and still have way too many boxed-up
The white light on the Kindle is so easy on the eyes
My Library in now large in size and takes up less room than a single book.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Middle Earth, You are right about that. So many books and no shelf space. I still like to have hard copies of some books though. Just because.
I use a Kindle fire because it also serves as my tablet computer. All in one, so to speak.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Sounds like a wonderful evening.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Middle Earth

CoreyR wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm Middle Earth, You are right about that. So many books and no shelf space. I still like to have hard copies of some books though. Just because.
I use a Kindle fire because it also serves as my tablet computer. All in one, so to speak.
Do yourself a favor and get/try a Paperwhite.
The tablets like the Fire, or the Galaxy I am typing on now, emit blue light which is directed at your retinas.
The paperwhite emits white light which is is aimed across the screen.
Real easy on the eyes.
Great book format if you do not mind bkack and white.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Middle Earth, Yeah, I know about that but the Paperwhites are expensive. and the Fire has a "low light" setting.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I have 3 dogs also . They don't seem to mind much except for trigger . 4th of July, I could tell he was confused about the sounds he was hearing
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Nothing like three huge dogs laying all over you with no air conditioning in the middle of summer. Lol
The Troll Whisperer