Is my Peterson legit?

DonniePaul

A while back I picked up this Peterson but the marking on the side of it always looks weird to me. It’s supposed to be a St. Patrick’s Day model but the year looks like it is messed up. Do you think that this is a fake? Maybe somebody fat fingered it at the factory? Any insight on this would be great to have! ImageImage
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

It would not seem to make much sense to fake a Peterson. They can be had at reasonable prices.

QC famously is a little squishy sometimes at the Peterson factory, and that is what I am going with.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The silversmith roll stamps at the factory by hand so it's possible the dye didn't have enough even pressure on that corner. It's a real Pete.
The Troll Whisperer
DonniePaul

That is great. Either way it’s a wonderful pipe but I’m glad to finally have it settled in my mind :thumbs:
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Kinda' looks fake to me, I'll send you the postage if you need someone to take it off your hands! 8-) :mrgreen:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
DonniePaul

Hahaha!

Thanks Bill for the kind offer :lol:
Loosecut

I purchased my one and only Pete brand new from Smokingpipes, about a decade ago. The model is the Irish Made army mount. The stamp on the metal is fine, but the stamp on the briar shank is very bad. the "IRISH MADE" part of the stamp looks like it was done two times, creating a double vision effect.

I never thought it was a fake. I figured that the Peterson company just doesn't care. If what I am saying is a knock against Peterson, I will also mention that I think all my other non Peterson pipes all have issues, whether cosmetic or engineering.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

There's nothing about that Peterson that looks Unlegit. It's a nice looking one and I have one similar to it that I almost brought on the road this work trip
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.