Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Middle Earth wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 pm
rekamepip wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm didn't want to get caught short for next months challenge
so.....
That is the top of the line Platinum Edition
You have met and exceeded the challange
Seriously, the best Brylon I have ever seen
Honorary Brylon. The body is plastic but the bowl/liner is pyrolytic graphite.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm
rekamepip wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm didn't want to get caught short for next months challenge
so.....
Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

Edit to add cutaway picture
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

This valuable information - thanks...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm

The Venturi line doesn't have the pyrolytic graphite lining like The Pipe, it is straight "brylon" or phenolic resin. I'll have to dig more on Taylor's site to know about The Smoke.

"Late in 1971 or early 1972, manufacture of a pipe made entirely of phenolic resin without any bowl liner was begun in an effort to reduce the price of the pipes and increase sales volume. These pipes were named the Venturi models and were priced about $5.00. These all-plastic pipes were successful and began to assume an ever increasing percentage of sales. They were offered in three basic shapes (Bent, Billiard, and Pot) of five colors each: Blue, Ebony, Green, Red, and White. Many of these pipes were sold in various promotional packages consisting of a bubble card which included a 2 ounce roll-up pouch of tobacco and a small brochure." http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ok, THE SMOKE has the pyrolytic graphite lining in the bowl, but it is a cheaper one (whatever that means) than the one in The Pipe. http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
rekamepip
Codger in Training

i think once i burn out the 40+/- years of dust bunnies out of my TheSmoke it should prove to be a viable tobacco burning machine
BriarPipeNYC

Seeing the above photo of the cardboard shipping box and the estate pipes........jaded as I am, I still manage to get excited when an ordered Estate-pipe shows up in my mail. Like a kid, I rip the box open, anticipating the first glimpse of some past owner's pipe.

I'm blessed that I'm handy, and I can usually turn some old briar sow's ear into a silk purse. I won't hesitate to Dremel-carve or rusticate a new surface onto a smooth pipe with flaws/fills/dents. It's fun. My kitchen table is my "work shop" and my high-tech tools consist of sandpaper, a Dremel -for carving briar and polishing stems, etc.- and some beeswax. I use SHARPIE markers for staining and touchups. You'll be surprised what some elbow-grease can do for a beat up pipe. If I screw up, I toss the pipe.

Love working on, and, smoking pipes.
DonniePaul

I found this little one in the novelty section of a Vermont country store. I had to get it.

I don’t think I can trust the glue that’s holding that shank in or else I would pack it deep and go to town. Like a car with a one gallon gas tank. :lol:

avid

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm

i'd like to get one in kryptonite...hold the stalactites and stalagmites
insufferable filter guy