I wish I had a thousand dollars.

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I dunno.. I like weird stuff, but this may be a little too weird. Kinda wimpy chamber for such a massive chunk of wood. Also they claim it to be Briar.. that sure looks a lot like Oak to me, but I could be crazy.
Last edited by Houtenziel on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm I dunno.. I like weird stuff, but this may be a little too weird. Kinda wimpy chamber for such a massive chunk of wood.
Hey Hout! How the heck are ya?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm I dunno.. I like weird stuff, but this may be a little too weird. Kinda wimpy chamber for such a massive chunk of wood.
You mean "Hout the heck are ya?" :lol: I am good! Took a long computer/pipe break, and now am on the prowl.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:12 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm
You mean "Hout the heck are ya?" :lol: I am good! Took a long computer/pipe break, and now am on the prowl.
Hahaha!
I had a haitus myself from the forum for a while due to some family stuff. When I came back I didn't see ya anywhere, so I'm glad to bump into ya. :D Still interested in that old Ropp Cherrywood?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I wish you had $1000 too, [mention]Whalehead King[/mention]. That pipe might be a little tame for NO. Mummert has some wild colored pipes that I could see you smoking. A cradle, huh? Did the Germans just stuff the baby into the chamber? Inquiring minds want to know.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm I dunno.. I like weird stuff, but this may be a little too weird. Kinda wimpy chamber for such a massive chunk of wood. Also they claim it to be Briar.. that sure looks a lot like Oak to me, but I could be crazy.
You could bore it out. There is plenty of wood.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'm speechless.
The Troll Whisperer
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Does it rock when you set it down?

Does this rocking enhance the smoking experience?

Does it make you sleepy?
ever forward
Whalehead King

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:40 pm I wish you had $1000 too, [mention]Whalehead King[/mention]. That pipe might be a little tame for NO. Mummert has some wild colored pipes that I could see you smoking. A cradle, huh? Did the Germans just stuff the baby into the chamber? Inquiring minds want to know.
I saw some of his parti-colored pipes and I like 'em. They're real firecrackers!

What I like about this pipe, beside the design, is the name, which fits perfectly: Bauhaus. He didn't have the band in mind when he conceived this pipe, he had the art movement. I'm not a fan of the architecture, which leaves me cold, but I do appreciate the painters that Bauhaus inspired. While I don't appreciate modernism, I do enjoy mannerism.

I'm sure that last statement surprised no one.

What I like about this Mummert pipe is that it uses geometric forms to make something that I think is really quite unexpectedly breathtaking but also fully functional. It isn't engineered so much as conceived---an abstract idea is brought to fruition. It's the first Platonic step toward a Grabow. Really, I find this pipe beautiful. I probably wouldn''s smoke it, though. I'm tired of breaking pipes in. I've got my old favorites and they are the trusted companions I turn to time and again. Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good enough to make one happy.

As for the end of the above comment, it is in about as good taste as this song, though blessedly shorter: