Oldest rifle you have that is shot often

Bamarick

If I'm not bad wrong Investarms did make BP Guns for Cabela's and other Box Stores. Most likely my Traditions are out of the same plant. A lot of people turn their noses up at Traditions, but mine were tweaked by the guy that built them (not me) and as a result they are good solid rifles. The Mountain Rifle shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards from a rest. Gosh, this makes me want to make a trip to the range :awesome:
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
CoreyR
Founding Member

Bamarick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 pm If I'm not bad wrong Investarms did make BP Guns for Cabela's and other Box Stores. Most likely my Traditions are out of the same plant. A lot of people turn their noses up at Traditions, but mine were tweaked by the guy that built them (not me) and as a result they are good solid rifles. The Mountain Rifle shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards from a rest. Gosh, this makes me want to make a trip to the range :awesome:
I have found that a lot of people turn up their noses to many good things in life.
As for a trip to the range? When my wife and I purchased our new home 3 years ago one of my requirements was a minimum of 5 acres with nothing else around it and a good backstop. Got it! and my main neighbor owns 75 acres, on three sides, and does not care if I shoot on my place, she is far enough away that it will not bother her. My other neighbor, however, raises horses and gunfire can upset them so I try to restrict my shooting to times when the horses are in the far paddock or in the barn. That said, I do not worry about it too much at this point. I have been there long enough, and shot often enough, that the horses should be getting used to the gunfire by now. I have not received any complaints from him, though I did discuss the matter with him when I moved in.
Point being that, generally, I can shoot from my back deck whenever I like. LOL. I do have a range area, where I prefer to do my shooting though. Brass collection point, bench, backstop, targets in place. It is SaWEEEEEET owning my own place!
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, I uploaded the one good pic I have of that Hawken. This is in the middle of the cleanup/restoration that I did. I had gotten the surface rust off, , cleaned the bore, replaced the nipple, oiled the barrel and begun polishing the wood. Still had to shine the brass and do some detailed cleaning. I'll have to get a "finished" picture for y'all later.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, not an "old rifle" but I picked up a repro Kentucky long rifle this weekend, for a song too. Double set trigger, percussion cap in .45, this thing has a hair trigger once set.
I did some shooting with it yesterday, from my back deck. It is "Spotty dog approved." He did a couple of back flips and lots of tail wagging so it clearly met his standards of happiness.
The thing is well balanced with, what appears to be, a curly maple stock that is finished to near perfection. It just feels good in my hands and is a joy to shoot once I get used to that hair trigger. VERY touchy there.
After shooting it a bit I thought it was nowhere near as accurate as my Hawken. Yet, while cleaning it last night I noticed that the front site is a bit off center to the left. I shall try tapping it back inline and trying this again. I'll bet it is dead on.
Maybe we should start a "black powder" thread?
Wilderness Pipe

That would be my Oberndorf Mauser made in 1900. I still use it quite often during winter hunting wolves. I took a Caribou with it as well. I modified and sporterized it a bit but it's still got the same barrel
Wilderness Pipe

CoreyR wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am Ok, I uploaded the one good pic I have of that Hawken. This is in the middle of the cleanup/restoration that I did. I had gotten the surface rust off, , cleaned the bore, replaced the nipple, oiled the barrel and begun polishing the wood. Still had to shine the brass and do some detailed cleaning. I'll have to get a "finished" picture for y'all later.
That's a beauty
Kentuck

When I was 15 years old I was given a raggedy 1873 Springfield 45-70 cavalry carbine by my uncle. Its how I learned to clap hands with my shoulder blades. :clap: It left my ownership long ago in some forgotten trade and I can't say I much miss it. The oldest rifle I shoot regularly is a Smith Corona 1903A3 from 1943.
Bamarick

Many years ago a gentleman, who was then my neighbor, owned a '73 Springfield that he had bought for $10.00 when the owner needed some booze money. I bought a box of factory ammo and together we shot it up. Yes I had a bruised shoulder to remember the event by.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
kb7get
Founding Member

Winchester Model 56 .22 short 1 of 1,157 made. My Grandpa gave this to me in the early 60's. It was my first gun so my favorite. Have some that might be older but this is the one I want to show off with.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

A 1930s Mauser Persion in 8mm . The action on it is incredible . I sold it to my best friend . I sold a good many old rifles some years ago because i was broke ... It sucked
Currently , I have a savage 16 ga. Single shot that I carry on my property most all the time . I'm not sure of the age of it . 60s or 70s I guess . I got it used in 1980 .. Sold it in 81 and found the same model in the late 90s and had to buy it again . its my buddy
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.