What Machine Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WMMCAYST™

Crusty Cob

Bought these today. Over a buck and a half a stick but by the end of the first one I had discovered that time is nothing but a human construct that helps up understand the physical world around us. Dang these shorties are good.

By Drew Estate.

Whalehead King

Crusty Cob wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 pm Bought these today. Over a buck and a half a stick but by the end of the first one I had discovered that time is nothing but a human construct that helps up understand the physical world around us. Dang these shorties are good.

By Drew Estate.

I'm not a big Drew Estate fan but I have been very tempted by these cigars. I've had my eye on them. Like all other DE cigars, the packaging is top notch. With a tin like that, who wouldn't want to buy a tin of cigars? That's a better tin than Sucrets and Altoids put together. I'm not a big fan of the short cigar, that's the only reason why.

Aside from admiring them from afar, I don't know anything about the process of making these cigars. Drew Estate is all about bespoke. Are these really handmade cigars in the backwoods tradition from barrelhead displays at remote country crossroads stores, or, are these machine made cigars in the Backwoods, make-'em-by the-million, convenience store tradition? I don't think you can get a roll like that with a Lieberman Machine. I am also well aware that rough-and-tumble cheroots can also be machine made---those Parodis are the best.

Questions that come to mind:

1.). Is Drew Estate contracting with the big cigar rolling machine operators to rent out a few weeks of production to fill these tins? Or, are they employing hand rollers that know how to put a tailored finish to cigars produced in bulk with the assistance of Lieberman machines? Or, does Drew Estate have an army of women who wear short skirts, who roll hundreds of these cigars, every day, on their thighs?

2.). Would you say these DEs are in a class between top-shelf tobacco shop cigars and next-to-the-cash-register gas station cigars? I would expect them to be newsstand cigars, not the best and far from the worst. Quality. A satisfying smoke to enjoy while you thumb through the pages of a magazine.

3.). Do you have your pants pressed or do you iron them yourself? That's a very military-crisp crease in your pant leg.
Crusty Cob

Cigar questions answered by a pipe smoker.

1) assume machine made. I actually have no idea. They look a lot more symmetrical in the package. I believe the sweets variety could have been rolled on the thighs of Nicaraguan ladies.

2) if Swisher Sweets are a 1 and cohibas, etc. Are 10 then these will fall in the 8 to 10 range. 10 for me maybe less for a cigar guy. Excellent tobacco for sure.

3) the pants were my dad's. He always dressed pretty sharp when he was working. I got them a number of years ago and only give them the washer/dryer treatment. It's a damn good permanent press they put on those. I believe they are Lee's or dockers or something. More polyester than cotton.

These are not "infused" with anything. The sweets have a similar sweetness applied to the wrapper like a swisher sweet. Not light or heavy.
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

White Owl New Yorker X 2 while playing golf this morning. Gotta get more Finck's Texas Smokers soon!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ellis You wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 pm White Owl New Yorker X 2 while playing golf this morning. Gotta get more Finck's Texas Smokers soon!
Are those Texas Smokers a mix of sizes and wrappers, HTL and natural leaf? The batch I got years ago was unbanded, too. They are a deal!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Ellis You wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 pm White Owl New Yorker X 2 while playing golf this morning. Gotta get more Finck's Texas Smokers soon!
Are those Texas Smokers a mix of sizes and wrappers, HTL and natural leaf? The batch I got years ago was unbanded, too. They are a deal!
I only tried 1 bag, perfectos. They were pretty much all alike, all natural leaf. All were unbanded and cello wrapped. They are the best value I've found since the SCHIP tax hit.
Whalehead King

I was watching The Green Mile in a bar this afternoon while reading the Wall Street Journal. Toward the movie's end the Tom Hanks character, who at this stage of his life is played by the reverend in Little House on the Prairie, goes to see his old friend, the mouse named Mr. Jingles. Where does Mr. Jingles live? In an empty box of Marsh Wheelings!

As soon as I saw the box I wanted to talk about it. I scanned the room. There was no one to talk to about these fabulous pigtail cigars that have been lost to history. No one else I saw would be interested talking about old school machine made cigars until the sun comes up, so I waited to get home to post here. I know: I live a wild, wild life.

I could use me a good pigtail stogie right about now.
Whalehead King

If you want to read about machine made cigars, scroll past this one. No machine made cigars appear in this post. If you want to read about drinks that go along with machine made cigars, I will tell you about my adventure. Ready?

I was at the Elysian Bar in Faubourg Marigny in New Orleans, Louisiana. This is a place that sells itself as an artisanal craft cocktail bar. Indeed, there wasn't any draft beer on the menu. I noticed a bottle of bitters on the bar, amidst all the other bottles of distillates and flavorings in the Elysian barkeeper's kit. I've known Muriel (not her real name) for awhile.

"Muriel, can you make me an Italian soda with celery bitters and soda water?"

Muriel looked at me. "Why?" she said, "do you have machine made cigars on you? I smoke Black and Mild."

I didn't have any cigars on me and the bar was too busy so Muriel couldn't come out for a smoke. She mixed some bitters into a club soda. Not enough. She mixed more. Not enough. Finally, she poured half a bottle, over ice, into a tall boy glass and topped it off with soda water. That was enough Cel-Ray flavor for me.

Muriel said to me, finally, "Whalehead, you have better taste than most of the knuckleheads who come in here, but don't keep it up. I might lose my job."

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Another king Edward imperial , another jobImage
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Principe Palma rum
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!