Opinions on Filters

Wilderness Pipe

Since I'm originally from Germany (I moved to Canada 22 years ago) I smoke with 9 mm filters. I'd say about 95% of Germans, Austrians and Swiss use 9mm filters. Some have activated carbon in them, others swear by filters with Meerschaum in them, then others again prefer balsam Filters, a lot of Danes seem to love the keystones by Erik Nording. I hear a few other European countries like Filters as well. Whereas I believe that the UK and Ireland mostly like to smoke Filter-less. If I'm not mistaken the same goes for the USA.
I would love to hear your guys' opinions and experiences on this. Anybody smoke with, as well as without Filters? How about 6mm?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I will weigh in here, but I am not sure I am the norm. I have had a number of 9mm filtered pipes that I loved. Vauens, Rattray's, and a few others I can't think of right now. They were all fine pipes, and the 9mm filters worked as advertised for me(no moisture, no bite). I tired the Carbon, Meerschaum, and the Vauen 9MM paper filters that are similar to our Grabow/Medico 6mm paper filters. I had no issues with any of them aside from the fact that I couldn't just run down to the store and buy new filters for them. Local availability was a big issue.
I've also smoked a number of 6mm filters - the aforementioned Grabow/Medico paper filters, Savinelli Balsa, and I also tried the Falcon Coolway filters. Again, all gave me a satisfactory smoke, and I couldn't really sense a significant change in flavor.
All that said, almost all of the various filters DO have an impact on draw. If you are one of those pipe smokers who has to have a super smooth and effortless draw(and I think most Americans traditionally fall into this category), then most of the filters are probably not going to be your thing. I found a few of the "off brand"(non-Vauen) 9mm charcoal filters to be some of the worst offenders in this regard, and I would sometimes find myself with bite simply because I was fighting to draw and would tend to over-puff.

If I have a pipe that is designed to take filters, I will use filters. My experience with smoking pipes designed to be filtered without the filter has not been good. The extra chamber space in the shank/stem turns into a well(like a Pete), and tends to swamp out really badly.

That's my 2 pennies.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wilderness Pipe

Thanks for the insight. That's exactly the type of "experience report", for lack of a better word, that I was hoping to get when I started this topic. I am thinking about getting a "filter less" Pipe. I too have tried to smoke my 9mm Pipes without the filter but I have to completely agree, the extra chamber space turns into a well.
Now this probably sounds like a strange question, but what might I expect as a "9mm guy" when changing to a filter less pipe?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Love a filtered cob . MM Legend is adamn good smoke . Agreed.. the lack of a filter in a pipe which requires one or is set up for one .. The draw is too airy and it's a drag . I cant recall wetness but i wouldnt doubt it . Savinelli has the adapter for that reason but they seem to smoke great with , without etc..
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:29 pm Thanks for the insight. That's exactly the type of "experience report", for lack of a better word, that I was hoping to get when I started this topic. I am thinking about getting a "filter less" Pipe. I too have tried to smoke my 9mm Pipes without the filter but I have to completely agree, the extra chamber space turns into a well.
Now this probably sounds like a strange question, but what might I expect as a "9mm guy" when changing to a filter less pipe?
The only things I can really think of is that you have to be a bit more cautious on the light, as the draw is free and you can definitely get "lighting bite" if you are pulling hard. Sucking ash near the end of the bowl can happen too if you are careless. I've also noticed that I need to be a little more conscious as to the angle that I hold the pipe(when not clenched), as holding the pipe with the stem at a downward angle can tend to encourage any built up "juice" to slide down towards the end of the bit. If you've ever got a sip of that juice, you'll learn pretty fast :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Like Hout, if the pipe is built for a filter, I'll use one. My experience with the 9mm charcoal filters has been good...a nice, clean, dry smoke. In my Savs I started out using the balsa filters, but prefer them with the adapter. My Sav Bing, on the other hand, smokes better filterless without the adapter. I've tried the little pebbles, and really, don't get it. Didn't seem to do much. My Grabows are all 6mm paper filtered, and again...a clean, dry smoke. So yeah...I'll use'em if the pipe requires it, but it's not a thing with me. I'm just as happy with my unfiltered pipes. But as [mention]houtenziel[/mention] has already pointed out, just a bit more careful. ( :mrgreen: )
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wilderness Pipe

Since I'm still at "apprentice level" in my "Pipe career development" I am only now starting to venture into Filter less pipes. I'm thinking of trading my Vauen "Auenland" for a ser jacopo.
When it comes to filters I font particularly like 6 mm.
Middle Earth

I am non-filter
I get adapters for 9mm , but if it is 6mm I go naked
The way I look at it,
It Is Your Train Jesse, You Can Rob It Anyway You Want
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Most of Europe smoke filtered pipes, I use them in my brylon's and they work, I just prefer not to use them because if you forget to change them they get pretty nasty and taste like crap.. If they work for you then that's all that matters. Now, softy bits? That's a whole other slippery slope. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
avid

they're a necessity
insufferable filter guy