Opinions on Filters

avid

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm do you change then out after each bowl?
Yes, in my case
insufferable filter guy
Whalehead King

One of a pipe smoker's simple pleasures is, at bowl's end, to untwist the bit and pull out the filter turned brown and soggy with gunk.

Not to get all gnostic, but, pipe tobacco has both matter and spirit. A filter delivers pure tobacco spirit.

Another vote in favor of filters. If the pipe is made for a filter. Use a filter. They're still made in the good old U.S. of A. Rope yourself a deal and buy yourself some American pipe filters. Your kisser will thank you for it.
Wilderness Pipe

avid wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm do you change then out after each bowl?
Yes, in my case
Same here I find the 9 mm coal or Meeeschaum ones don't taste good on the 2nd bowl. I don't even like to leave an old filter in any longer then a few hours after completing a bowl. But that's just me
avid

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 pm I don't even like to leave an old filter in any longer then a few hours after completing a bowl
i used to be that way, but lately i'll leave them until several are ready for a pipe cleaner and new filter
insufferable filter guy
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I use filters to reduce the nic hit.
ever forward
avid

arturo7 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:28 am I use filters to reduce the nic hit.
i guess i do, too, but i've noticed i don't get near the hit i used to when starting out, and i used them from the beginning
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have never especially cared for filters. At one point I would use them in a filter pipe while I was breaking them in. It seems to mitigate the "new pipe" taste. I have a few filters around, so I could try one again just any time now.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ronv69
Founding Member

I believe that Germany, and probably the rest of the EU, have mandated that pipes sold there have 9mm filters. You can tell that this was instigated by Germany because if the size they chose. 😁😎🤠.
I have a lot of pipes that take filters but I very rarely use them. Even with the 9mm I don't have any trouble with the draw.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

arturo7 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:28 am I use filters to reduce the nic hit.
I wish they made one that would double the hit without changing the flavor. 🥴😜😉
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

avid wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes, in my case
I used to use the balsa filters in my truck pipe and I would dry them on the dash in the sun and reuse them 3 or 4 times. This was always with Captain Black Royal. I never noticed any problems with reusing them and I just tossed them when they got almost black. Paper filters are definitely not reusable. Carbon and Meershaum filters suck the flavor out of the smoke for me. I do like the keystones in my pipes where the draft hole is too open.
God and Texas!