Random ramble of BS on a pipe filled porch evening

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It's funny how trends go in regards to pipe tobacco blends/genre . Back at the old psf there was a time when there was tons of discussion of English styled blends , along with a lot of snobbery that yours truly nipped in the butt along with some others . Pipe blend snobbery is way worse than being " girl like " , imho . Anyway , there was very little of that going on toward the demise of psf1 and thankfully I've never seen any of that snobbery talk here .
Thing is , I haven't seen too much English styled blends mentioned here . It could be it's Summer. I stay away from them in the summer . Or , I'm just not on here so much since my " new " job and missed it .

A good indicator is seeing what's in Stock at online retailers . Generally speaking .... Virginia flakes seem to be the choice of hoarders currently and certain blenders are still unavailable . I mean , remember when you could just order whichever Germain blend you wanted , as an example . Remember when SG Squadron Leader was Gods gift to mankind and all the English blend snobbery... lol . It was like everything was fine and dandy and then all the fruit salad crowd showed up . It was one of the times I didn't want to be on Psf1 and took a short break from it . Again , its awesome I've never felt that way about here . I'm Sad I'm not on as much as I'd like to be

Anyway , it's getting close to Autum or fall or whatever and im one of those guys thst only smokes English styled blends during Fall and Winter . I just don't enjoy it in hot humid weather . The only English style blend I could smoke all year is MB Solent ... Its not so much " English " and it's off the chart any day of the year and one of their best blends , no doubt . It's 60 bucks a pound in bulk and worth it . It isn't very Englishy but its a perfect blend that uses latakia as a spice and done with perfection , imho .

I'm sure most anyone thats been around the old psf knows my adoration for Germain 1820 and Royal Jersey Perique . I don't even think about them anymore , as they might as well be out of production , along with some others . McClelland was really a heart breaker

As far as an English style blends goes ... there's about 300 of them available , mostly crap to my tastes . There are good ones and a few great ones too . I'm glad Balkan Sasieni is available because it's good . Also , PS ENGLISH ORIENTAL SUPREME ... It employs some cavendish and it's very excellent , available only in bulk and reasonable as hell . I like it a lot and it was the most sold English blend in my shop by far . I'll be enjoying some Sasieni occasionaly pretty soon . Oh , I'll need to order some Sutliff Aromatic English .. It's outstanding as an ago English cross over , which sounds disgusting , and is really, but their is very good

In a perfect world ,1820 would be sold in bulk at the drug store next to the opioids and tannerite

Anyway , I just rambled and now I'm gonna have a bourbon and try to crash . I have to be in Alabama tomorrow morning and it's a 4 hour drive , so an early am wakeup ... got my pipe traveler pouch packed

Oh , if McConnell latakia flakebis available .. snag it ! It's incredible. [mention]ncrobb[/mention] turned me on to it ... It was super far out
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm definitely waiting for some cooler weather to dip into the English type blends (and I finally snagged a tin of McConnell lat flake) For some reason they just click for me in the cooler months
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm not much of an English smoker, preferring codger burleys. But when the weather turns cool, there is something special about a bowlful of PS English Oriental Supreme on the porch with a cuppa hot tea. I'm no expert, though. Is Nightcap an English? I like that stuff, too. And while EGR isn't an English (I don't think) it's got enough lat to make it a fallish smoke for me.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Crusty Cob

I like an English well enough but when it comes time to fill the bowl I usually gravitate toward the burley blends. My favorite English blends are artisans blend, john bull and london mixture. To me john bull is the worlds first and only "codger English." It fills the same role as PA but with a different taste. One of these days I'm going to order up those PS English blends I read so much about.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Lat blends used to be my bread and butter. I very rarely smoke them anymore, and pretty much only when the temp drops below 60. Lancer's Slices is probably my all time favorite heavier Lat blend, probably due to it's lack of Oriental(which I am not a fan of), and the sweetness of the Virginia they use. Honorable mention to BB1938 too, which also lacks Oriental and is lighter on the Lat.

Oh and Peterson's Wild Atlantic.. there is a pouch "English" that really doesn't get nearly the attention it should.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
ncrobb
Founding Member

I’ll break out a light English or ODF in hot weather now and again but I’m really looking forward to it cooling off. I still have a chunk of that homemade Latikia cake @Ruffinogold gave me. Wish you knew the recipe. That’s good stuff.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Was once a heavy equipment mechanic. I've always suspected that my love of Lat. has something to do with the absence of diesel fumes and melting asphalt in my life. 😁
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Is it Latakia or Latakia? I never know how to pronounce it.🤔
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 am Is it Latakia or Latakia? I never know how to pronounce it.🤔
Listen carefully; "Latakia."
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:05 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 am Is it Latakia or Latakia? I never know how to pronounce it.🤔
Listen carefully; "Latakia."

I believe the question may be whether to pronounce it ''Lat-ah-kia' or 'Lat-a-keeah.' I pronounce it 'ooh yeah....'