Alabama Snow Plow.

Bamarick

Having picked my share of the white fluffy stuff by hand, the picture makes my back hurt!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Middle Earth

Replaces a whole lot of manpower
Impressive machine
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I picked potatoes as a young lad. That wasn't fun either.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
avid

picked celery, that was the worst

picking berries or asparagus with my ma, not so bad...some berries even made it to the bucket
insufferable filter guy
Ronv69
Founding Member

I picked cotton on my uncles farm for a couple of days when I was 7. I thought I had arthritis! It has little sharp fibers that get into your skin. My grandmother used to talk about picking it all day every day when she was 6 in Louisiana. She could barely drag the empty bag! I didn't mind picking anything else, slopping the hogs, etc., but I started to cry when he wanted me to pick more cotton. My mom got mad when she came to pick me up and saw my swollen hands. Cotton cultivation is for machines!
God and Texas!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Picking cotton is outside my experience set. I have put up plenty of hay however...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ronv69
Founding Member

Haying is fun. Then there is the beer after. Of course I only did it when I was 19 and 20 and in great shape. I can see that it could get old. I could swing 2 bales in each hand. Ahh, the good old days. 🙃🤠
God and Texas!
Bamarick

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:02 pm I picked cotton on my uncles farm for a couple of days when I was 7. I thought I had arthritis! It has little sharp fibers that get into your skin. My grandmother used to talk about picking it all day every day when she was 6 in Louisiana. She could barely drag the empty bag! I didn't mind picking anything else, slopping the hogs, etc., but I started to cry when he wanted me to pick more cotton. My mom got mad when she came to pick me up and saw my swollen hands. Cotton cultivation is for machines!
I don't understand the sharp fibers, however if you happened to stick the end of the bur under a fingernail you might scream bloody murder. I picked cotton until I left home at age 19 and while I've missed farm life, I haven't missed picking cotton! Pulling Corn was my favorite job as that was the only job where I could match or beat my Dad.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Bamarick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:02 pm I picked cotton on my uncles farm for a couple of days when I was 7. I thought I had arthritis! It has little sharp fibers that get into your skin. My grandmother used to talk about picking it all day every day when she was 6 in Louisiana. She could barely drag the empty bag! I didn't mind picking anything else, slopping the hogs, etc., but I started to cry when he wanted me to pick more cotton. My mom got mad when she came to pick me up and saw my swollen hands. Cotton cultivation is for machines!
I don't understand the sharp fibers, however if you happened to stick the end of the bur under a fingernail you might scream bloody murder. I picked cotton until I left home at age 19 and while I've missed farm life, I haven't missed picking cotton! Pulling Corn was my favorite job as that was the only job where I could match or beat my Dad.
Well, all I can say is that 7 year old fingers are tender. And I may well have stuck some part under my nail or more probably the cuticle.
God and Texas!
Bamarick

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:00 am
Bamarick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm
Well, all I can say is that 7 year old fingers are tender. And I may well have stuck some part under my nail or more probably the cuticle.
Yes sir the burr is rough on young & tender fingers. I do know that I stuck enough of them under a finger nail and that at about 55 years later I can still remember the pain!

If a heavy frost hit before the picking was finished some of the bolls wouldn't open properly. We went back after those pulling the whole boll. Even though we wore the brown jersey gloves the burrs would still hurt our fingers. I love seeing a field of Cotton, but I don't miss picking it a bit!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!