Zippo Flints

Whalehead King

houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:18 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:41 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 pm I've used Bic flints too which are suspiciously similar to the Clipper.. although it is just a flint.. how many people could really be out there making them?
Houtz, you've got me thinking. What is a flint made of anyway? I doubt it's really flint. Maybe there is a little ground up flint in there in some complex matrix of other materials---even a trace of magnesium, perhaps? I don't know.

I reminds me of the essay, "I, Pencil." It's worth watching the video:

The longer I am alive and understand the complexity of the world, I become more Hayekian, and more religious. No one person can build a lighter flint. Think of how insignificant this product is in the world at large. And, yet, there is an, albeit small, industry dedicated to producing lighter flints. It boggles the mind.

It's a wonderful world.
Apparently modern "flints" are actually made of a synthetic alloy called Ferrocerium.

"A modern ferrocerium firesteel product is composed of an alloy of rare-earth metals called mischmetal (containing approximately 20.8% iron, 41.8% cerium, about 4.4% each of praseodymium, neodymium, and magnesium, plus 24.2% lanthanum.[4] A variety of other components are added to modify the spark and processing characteristics.[1] Most contemporary flints are hardened with iron oxide and magnesium oxide."

Also of interest.. "About 700 tons were produced in 2000."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocerium
It sounds so magical when it's put that way.
Toshtego

In my experience, genuine Zippo flints and lighter fuel are worth the trouble to find.
Whalehead King

Toshtego wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 pm In my experience, genuine Zippo flints and lighter fuel are worth the trouble to find.
You're hitting all the best threads today, aren't you?
Toshtego

Whalehead King wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:20 pm
Toshtego wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 pm In my experience, genuine Zippo flints and lighter fuel are worth the trouble to find.
I am doing my best.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Does "best" really have any truly qualifying meaning when all threads are of the highest quality? :lol:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:05 pm
Does "best" really have any truly qualifying meaning when all threads are of the highest quality? :lol:
Oh, we got some of them there ontologicalablephilosophizers up in here (love making up compound words, German DNA). Seriously though, I love my Zippo, but I'd throw it in the garbage if someone put Ronson fluid in it. In the garbage!
avid

Bro Uhaha wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Oh, we got some of them there ontologicalablephilosophizers up in here (love making up compound words, German DNA). Seriously though, I love my Zippo, but I'd throw it in the garbage if someone put Ronson fluid in it. In the garbage!
And I’d be right there in the garbage bin waiting for it...
insufferable filter guy
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

avid wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 pm

👍🏻
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:43 pm

LOL
insufferable filter guy