What Machine Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WMMCAYST™

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I went to visit my brother in OKC and bought some machine mades. I thought I had smoked them all but I found some singles in another cigar box, so now I'm smoking an El Verso, a regional brand from the now defunct National Cigar. I hope they still have some when we go back.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:04 pm I went to visit my brother in OKC and bought some machine mades. I thought I had smoked them all but I found some singles in another cigar box, so now I'm smoking an El Verso, a regional brand from the now defunct National Cigar. I hope they still have some when we go back.
Hey KK, We will be taking a trip out to Carlsbad,NM. to visit my In-laws in late June. Our path takes us thru MO, Tulsa,OKC,Amarillo,Lubbock,and into NM. I will be stopping along the way to see what MM I can find along the way. Know of any must stop at tobacco shops in those cities?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

mrpipster wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey KK, We will be taking a trip out to Carlsbad,NM. to visit my In-laws in late June. Our path takes us thru MO, Tulsa,OKC,Amarillo,Lubbock,and into NM. I will be stopping along the way to see what MM I can find along the way. Know of any must stop at tobacco shops in those cities?
I don't know of any Dale, I actually bought those at a grocery store near his house! I bet you could find some good stuff, especially in those little out of the way mom and pop stores.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

OK. Thanks. Thats what I thought also. Those mom and pop places are great to stop at and check out the local kind of stuff they have. Oh its a WLC for me this evening.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Whalehead King

El Verso was a very nice sun-ripened cigar. I thought they were impossible to find nowadays. Proof that a machine made cigar doesn't need any babying to still deliver a good smoke years after the fact of production. I doubt I'll be in OKC anytime soon.

I can picture you sitting under that tree on the box K-I-S-S-I-N-G that lovely cigar.
Whalehead King

If I recall, my only complaint about El Verso is the band comes off when you take off the cellophane. Can you confirm my memory?

I like to remember what I'm smoking, so I always keep the band on until the last smoldering moment when it's time to remove it. A strategy that doesn't apply when I'm enjoying a Parodi or F.X. Smith, unfortunately---which is why I can never keep straight which Parodi I'm smoking: what box did that come out of?
9 Iron
Founding Member

Lighting up a Principe Masters Chocolate.
9 Iron
Founding Member

If you like the old Muniemaker and Judges Cave cigars, here's a good article on the company that produced them, FD Graves of Connecticut. FD Graves produced the cigars in house until the 1980's and then contracted production out to FX Smith's in Pennsylvania until the FD Graves company finally threw in the towel.

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article ... along-7758

As a side note, these cigars are still made the same as they have been for the last 30 plus years by FX Smith's and are still available under the Tuscarora label. Smith's has recently moved their machinery to the Dominican Republic but claim that the same US sourced tobacco and equipment will be used and the cigars should remain unchanged.
9 Iron
Founding Member

And if you're interested in seeing how FX Smith's made the Muniemaker cigars and the rolling machine they used, here ya go.

Whalehead King

Yeah, and here's the opposite of machine made. Stop trying to look up her skirt.