What Are You Smoking November 2019

JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:16 pm You probably got out of it because it was a drag at times , a bitch , dusty dirty , hot or cold , not the greatest money and your back and or knees hurt ... maybe
Nah, actually I wanted to keep going, but the developers decided to close up shop here in Oregon, and my brother couldn't afford to keep me on. I reluctantly picked up a computer gig, climbed the corporate ladder all the way to principal engineer.. and then the big ass corporation also closed up shop in Oregon! One thing I will say.. I will take dusty, dirty, sweaty, freezing, pain in the neck/back/ass.. those are all physical things. Working in technology for a corporation does the same thing, only to your soul. I'll take bodily wear and tear over that any day.
Having gone from a soft self employed gig to jumping back into carpentry / fab / whatever craziness the boss has us doing I have to agree. I'll take hard labor any day. Getting back into the swing at 45 has been a tall order in all honesty but I wouldn't trade it
As an "academic," I get pretty good money for very little work or soul-drain. (Looks at waistline)--it has its drawbacks though.
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:33 am
houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Nah, actually I wanted to keep going, but the developers decided to close up shop here in Oregon, and my brother couldn't afford to keep me on. I reluctantly picked up a computer gig, climbed the corporate ladder all the way to principal engineer.. and then the big ass corporation also closed up shop in Oregon! One thing I will say.. I will take dusty, dirty, sweaty, freezing, pain in the neck/back/ass.. those are all physical things. Working in technology for a corporation does the same thing, only to your soul. I'll take bodily wear and tear over that any day.
Having gone from a soft self employed gig to jumping back into carpentry / fab / whatever craziness the boss has us doing I have to agree. I'll take hard labor any day. Getting back into the swing at 45 has been a tall order in all honesty but I wouldn't trade it
As an "academic," I get pretty good money for very little work or soul-drain. (Looks at waistline)--it has its drawbacks though.
Bingo , lol . I think theres a difference from " being in shape " from working and being in shape from proper exercise . I'd much prefer to have a personal trainer and warp young minds than work in the elements , dusty air , grease etc...
I get a chuckle when people romanticize laborious work , as if its noble or whatever .... Or if it isnt a headache because it's " just physical " , which is ridiculous . There's plenty of headaches along with physical work
Stick in academia , man , and if you need to loose some pounds ... Get a personal trainer so that you don't waste time doing exorcise that doent help much . Academia , sigh , not a bad life my friend :)

Got the Alpha in hand . Fixing to smoke some F&T brown flake while picking up some tree I cut yesterdayImage
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 am I get a chuckle when people romanticize laborious work , as if its noble or whatever .... Or if it isnt a headache because it's " just physical " , which is ridiculous . There's plenty of headaches along with physical work
Just wanted to mention - I wasn't romanticizing, I just never had fantasies about setting fire to my workplace and watching it burn to ashes when I was doing construction. Granted, I was technically self employed, so I only had myself to blame if things weren't working out.. but I've done both. I've been basically in a middle management position in a big tech company, and I've done painting, drywall, cabinetry, framing, and basically anything else in construction outside of electrical and plumbing (since the Oregon contractors board would climb up my backside if I did those things). For me, happy is happy, and having tangible proof of my work, and a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, versus having zero tangible proof and having to do powerpoints and spreadsheets to prove I actually did something to my management, I'll take pigskin over nerfball any day.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 am

Bingo , lol . I think theres a difference from " being in shape " from working and being in shape from proper exercise . I'd much prefer to have a personal trainer and warp young minds than work in the elements , dusty air , grease etc...
I get a chuckle when people romanticize laborious work , as if its noble or whatever .... Or if it isnt a headache because it's " just physical " , which is ridiculous . There's plenty of headaches along with physical work
Stick in academia , man , and if you need to loose some pounds ... Get a personal trainer so that you don't waste time doing exorcise that doent help much . Academia , sigh , not a bad life my friend :)

Got the Alpha in hand . Fixing to smoke some F&T brown flake while picking up some tree I cut yesterdayImage
Pearls of wisdom, Ruffinogold.

My father decided to quit practicing law in favor of working 'with his hands.' A few years later he was killed in a workplace accident. Not making that up.

I've done 'real' work in agriculture, fisheries, heavy equipment maintenance, roofing, drywall, insulation, sheetmetal, on and on. Conclusion: I'm keeping the office gig until they throw me out.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I drive truck.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Good morning, a delicious 3 egg western omelet lines my gut while I load some va cut plug in a old Sea Rock. I should technically be smoking latakia because of the weather but I'm putting my foot down on this one. Café Bustelo.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:04 am I drive truck.
Thank you for your service.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bamarick

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 am

I get a chuckle when people romanticize laborious work , as if its noble or whatever ....
Laborious work is exactly why I'm still trying to recover from my knee replacement. I climbed poles and crawled under houses for 31 years to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table!

On the other hand, I've enjoyed a bowl of PS23 B&B in the Nording Freehand this morning.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:04 am I drive truck.
Thank you for your service.
:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Dr Uhaha

SWR in the DG Viscount.