Wind Caps

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Can any of you fellows fill me in on how those metal wind caps work, if they do work? Do you flip it up to light the pipe or what?

Vaguely related: My father used to say 'I should have worn a rain coat' every time I did something dumb as a kid. Whattayathink he meant?
avid

I have a bunch and use them a lot. They are spring-loaded, and when you pinch the two flanges on top the flanges on the bottom release tension on the inside of the rim of the bowl, for installing or removing.

They do help keep the wind from blasting and quickly burning a lit bowl during the smoke, but I use them anytime I load a bowl and put it in a pocket on my coat or fishing/hunting vest. Keeps the blend intact. Serves the same purpose for a partially smoked bowl. Pretty handy for pre-loading and then going out for an adventure.
insufferable filter guy
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I have one that I've put a thin coating of clear sealant on and use it to snuff out a bowl quickly and to keep the tobacco in the bowl when I put it in my pocket.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I don't use them, so no help here. I've thought about the raincoat comment. I got nuthin'. I'll think about it some more maybe.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bro Uhaha wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:34 pm Can any of you fellows fill me in on how those metal wind caps work, if they do work? Do you flip it up to light the pipe or what?

Vaguely related: My father used to say 'I should have worn a rain coat' every time I did something dumb as a kid. Whattayathink he meant?
Never used a wind cap. Used plenty of raincoats in my life though :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Whalehead King

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Bro Uhaha wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:34 pm Can any of you fellows fill me in on how those metal wind caps work, if they do work? Do you flip it up to light the pipe or what?

Never used a wind cap. Used plenty of raincoats in my life though :lol:
The world is a poorer place.

Many a good shirt has been ruined for want of a wind cap. I have two of them but I rarely use them. I don't often smoke in windy conditions. The fan is running in my gentleman's parlor as I write this but it isn't set to agitate the stray papers on my desk to hurricane monsoon levels.

I have used my wind caps in the past. Once when I was hanging my head out the passenger window of my pal's sports car, I almost got a semi-haircut via an 18-wheeler on that trip, and once when I was caught in a wind storm. I've used my wind caps a couple of times for no reason. Maybe that's the best reason of all. They do what they are supposed to do. I like them. I like 'em a lot, even if I never have a need to use them.

Liking wind caps without using them is like crying in the rain. What difference does it make?
Whalehead King

avid wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:48 pm I have a bunch and use them a lot. They are spring-loaded, and when you pinch the two flanges on top the flanges on the bottom release tension on the inside of the rim of the bowl, for installing or removing.

They do help keep the wind from blasting and quickly burning a lit bowl during the smoke, but I use them anytime I load a bowl and put it in a pocket on my coat or fishing/hunting vest. Keeps the blend intact. Serves the same purpose for a partially smoked bowl. Pretty handy for pre-loading and then going out for an adventure.
Are you sure they're called flanges? I'm not going to look it up. I think they are just buttons connected to springs. I don't think the mechanisms in a wind cap can be categorized as flanges. I'm no engineer. I rarely have any occasion to use the word 'flanges', not even once a year, but I do know I used it within the last three years. I wasn't referring to the parts of a wind cap. It was something different. I'll know a flange when I see it, and then I'll just blurt it out. For the life of me, though, at the moment, I can't recall the dictionary definition of a flange.

Are you sure they're called flanges?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I just use my first three fingers with a hairs width of space between them to cap off the bowl when it's gusty. The burning sensation just reminds me I am alive. It's weird that the same logic somehow doesn't apply to urinary tract issues.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm Are you sure they're called flanges?
i'm sure that's what i call them...right or wrong 8-)
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm
avid wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:48 pm I have a bunch and use them a lot. They are spring-loaded, and when you pinch the two flanges on top the flanges on the bottom release tension on the inside of the rim of the bowl, for installing or removing.

Are you sure they're called flanges? I'm not going to look it up. I think they are just buttons connected to springs. I don't think the mechanisms in a wind cap can be categorized as flanges. I'm no engineer. I rarely have any occasion to use the word 'flanges', not even once a year, but I do know I used it within the last three years. I wasn't referring to the parts of a wind cap. It was something different. I'll know a flange when I see it, and then I'll just blurt it out. For the life of me, though, at the moment, I can't recall the dictionary definition of a flange.

Are you sure they're called flanges?
😂
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-