The Pot Shape Pipe

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am I think there are pot " shaped " pipes and true pot pipes . The true ones have wide and either slightly shallower chambers or pretty damn shallow . . Some " pots " look like pots but rte mearly regular chambered pipes with extra wide wood ... if that makes sense .

In the cigar world its common knowledge that a wider ring gauge allows space for a roller to have enough room for more of a blend of leaves , thus the huge gauge cigars these days that far surpass what's needed for a blend , imho

Anyway , a true pot allows more surface space for the nuances of a blend to be more pronounced . The shallower wideness allows for a different kind of draw too , which i cant explain well , but seems to be quite excellent

A Pot pipe is kinda the opposite of a " flake pipe " , which of course doesnt really exist except if a smaller bowl is desired for smoking a slower burning flake . There's a true difference in the draw if a pot and it's ability to augment a blend given the heightened nuance experience ( HNE)

One of my favorite smokes in a pot is PSLTF. My favorite pot was given to a young man that was going to Africa on a mission trip . I figured he deserved it and I wanted that pipe to see the world with him . He went there and a few other p,aces on a year + mission trip

I'm down to one pot and this thread has me realizing that my next pipe should be one .
That's one point I forgot to make in my ramblings. If it's a pot shape with a standard 3/4" chamber I don't even give it a glance
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am I think there are pot " shaped " pipes and true pot pipes . The true ones have wide and either slightly shallower chambers or pretty damn shallow . . Some " pots " look like pots but rte mearly regular chambered pipes with extra wide wood ... if that makes sense .

In the cigar world its common knowledge that a wider ring gauge allows space for a roller to have enough room for more of a blend of leaves , thus the huge gauge cigars these days that far surpass what's needed for a blend , imho

Anyway , a true pot allows more surface space for the nuances of a blend to be more pronounced . The shallower wideness allows for a different kind of draw too , which i cant explain well , but seems to be quite excellent

A Pot pipe is kinda the opposite of a " flake pipe " , which of course doesnt really exist except if a smaller bowl is desired for smoking a slower burning flake . There's a true difference in the draw if a pot and it's ability to augment a blend given the heightened nuance experience ( HNE)

One of my favorite smokes in a pot is PSLTF. My favorite pot was given to a young man that was going to Africa on a mission trip . I figured he deserved it and I wanted that pipe to see the world with him . He went there and a few other p,aces on a year + mission trip

I'm down to one pot and this thread has me realizing that my next pipe should be one .
That's one point I forgot to make in my ramblings. If it's a pot shape with a standard 3/4" chamber I don't even give it a glance
If it is just a short billiard, you get the worst of both worlds.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I like Pots, they smoke well.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm I like Pots, they smoke well.
The "T" in Tsal is for Terse. :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Whalehead King

As much as I may like being stuck behind a fat-bottomed girl on a bicycle, I don't particularly enjoy being stuck with a fat-mouthed pipe with a deep bowl. YMMV.

I like bit more height than width in my pipe bowls, this is one reason I'm partial to sitters. I have never been a fan of a MacArthur cob, though. That pipe is just ridiculous.

I find a wide pipe hard to keep burning. I'm not stingy with relights but too much is more than enough. Everyone's technique will determine their optimal bowl measurement ratios. The pot has never done great anything for me, and I have a brylon pot. YMMV.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:16 pm As much as I may like being stuck behind a fat-bottomed girl on a bicycle, I don't particularly enjoy being stuck with a fat-mouthed pipe with a deep bowl. YMMV.

I like bit more height than width in my pipe bowls, this is one reason I'm partial to sitters. I have never been a fan of a MacArthur cob, though. That pipe is just ridiculous.

I find a wide pipe hard to keep burning. I'm not stingy with relights but too much is more than enough. Everyone's technique will determine their optimal bowl measurement ratios. The pot has never done great anything for me, and I have a brylon pot. YMMV.
That just leaves more for the rest of us.

I am guessing my fondness for them has something to do with my (lack of) packing technique or something. Maybe I just was born with a thumb that is calibrated for the pot/codger_scoop combo.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I should not have opened this thread...
ever forward
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:24 pm
I'm not a wordy fella. I take the more direct approach.
The Troll Whisperer
Serenity

houtenziel wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:24 pm
I'm confident the "T" stands for ticklish

I only have one pot, and it's a Savinelli EX. I may buy another, because they are sitters which I really like, but it will have to be smaller bowl diameter. Large diameter bowels no longer fit my smoking style of slow sips. The same reason I don't care for over 50 ring size in cigars, make mine 46 or 48 please.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Serenity wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:24 am Large diameter bowels no longer fit my smoking style of slow sips.
:lol:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt