Coffee

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:07 pm
Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:02 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:55 pm Had to post this one.. The wife, kids and I go thrift shopping on Saturday mornings. I normally don't find a whole lot, but this morning I struck gold.
Been looking for one of these Corning Percolators for ages(like my grandma used to have on her counter), with the removable element and clear glass top. I finally found one, 5.99.. and it works like brand new.
Having a cup of "Great Value Doughnut Shop" in it, and it is surprisingly amazing.

Gawd I miss that sound. Score, bruh! ✔
That sound along with the smell of the perking coffee gives it's own little dopamine rush. I also have to say.. I don't know who Walmart is buying coffee from but this stuff is good. I normally buy some shade grown, fair trade, cultivated and cared for by beautiful virgins, hipster blend roasted up in Portland. It's been hit or miss though to find it. I was at Walmart the other day and saw this sitting on the shelf and it said 100% Arabica on it.. gave it a try, and honestly this stuff makes the stuff I was drinking taste like dirty bathwater.
Watching it percolate in that clear glass is as mesmerizing as a lava lamp. (Yeah, I owned one)

Coffee has really improved across the board. 20 years ago I had to go to a joint that actually traveled to buy their own beans abroad, roasting them in house, to get my flavor fix, but sh*t, nowadays even McDee's has a decent medium arabica. Supply and demand.

Never even drank coffee until I lived in Seattle. Had to start drinking it because moving from sunny TX to WA in December jacked me up! Have been loving it ever since, but I don't need the stainless cone travel mug that EVERYBODY had up there anymore. Oh, yeah that stainless cone travel mug was a uniform in Seattle in the 90's.
Dr Uhaha

Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:28 pm
Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Gawd I miss that sound. Score, bruh! ✔
That sound along with the smell of the perking coffee gives it's own little dopamine rush. I also have to say.. I don't know who Walmart is buying coffee from but this stuff is good. I normally buy some shade grown, fair trade, cultivated and cared for by beautiful virgins, hipster blend roasted up in Portland. It's been hit or miss though to find it. I was at Walmart the other day and saw this sitting on the shelf and it said 100% Arabica on it.. gave it a try, and honestly this stuff makes the stuff I was drinking taste like dirty bathwater.
Watching it percolate in that clear glass is as mesmerizing as a lava lamp. (Yeah, I owned one)

Coffee has really improved across the board. 20 years ago I had to go to a joint that actually traveled to buy their own beans abroad, roasting them in house, to get my flavor fix, but sh*t, nowadays even McDee's has a decent medium arabica. Supply and demand.

Never even drank coffee until I lived in Seattle. Had to start drinking it because moving from sunny TX to WA in December jacked me up! Have been loving it ever since, but I don't need the stainless cone travel mug that EVERYBODY had up there anymore. Oh, yeah that stainless cone travel mug was a uniform in Seattle in the 90's.
Here it is. Everybody and their mothertruckin' uncle had one of these in Seattle in the early to mid 90's. Called 'vintage' now! 🤣

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Here it is. Everybody and their mothertruckin' uncle had one of these in Seattle in the early to mid 90's. Called 'vintage' now! 🤣

Looks like the pot portion of a very portable still, minus the still head. Not that I would know anything about that..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha

houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Looks like the pot portion of a very portable still, minus the still head. Not that I would know anything about that..
Yeah, we should move to New Zealand. Home distilling completely legal.
Dr Uhaha

Starting my day off with some HEB Texas Pecan.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bro Uhaha wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 am Starting my day off with some HEB Texas Pecan.
*love* HEB
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Dr Uhaha

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:46 am
Bro Uhaha wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 am Starting my day off with some HEB Texas Pecan.
*love* HEB
We still have our HEB shopping bags and use them here in Arkansas. On at least 4 or 5 occasions we have ended up in line near another Ex-Texan and the conversation usually goes like this:

Stranger: 'Do you miss HEB?'
Us: 'Yes, A LOT.'
JTWilliams

Local joint, Cafe Stella, roasts their own beans, so I'm there a lot. Like, yknow, now.
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
We have used an aeropress for a few years and they are pretty great. My only gripe is that to get a decent cup of coffee you have to make a small amount of strong coffee and then do a dilution. The coffee always ends up tasting decent, but it always feels a bit thinner than perked or even pour over. For the speed to cup though, I don't think it can be beat.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt