Sign of the Codger

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

So, pipe smoking covers a lot of ground and includes a varied cast of characters. How would one describe a true Codger?
sisyphus
Person of Interest

smoked OTC Burley longer than you've been alive. Not impressed by your expensive pipes and doesn't see how anything could work better than a Grabow anyhow. Never gave packing or technique a moment's thought, just smoked the damn pipe. Smoked a pipe as a means of nicotine delivery and enjoyment, not a god damned hobby. Doesn't have an opinion on acrylic vs vulcanite and thinks you're a douche for arguing about it ever since alt.smokers.pipes
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Bamarick

sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:45 am doesn't see how anything could work better than a Grabow anyhow.
I have just purchased an Estate Dr. G Regal (Canadian shape) and if there's a better smoking pipe I sure would like to know what it is. All of my six Grabows are good smokers, but this Regal is a great smoker!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:45 am smoked OTC Burley longer than you've been alive. Not impressed by your expensive pipes and doesn't see how anything could work better than a Grabow anyhow. Never gave packing or technique a moment's thought, just smoked the damn pipe. Smoked a pipe as a means of nicotine delivery and enjoyment, not a god damned hobby. Doesn't have an opinion on acrylic vs vulcanite and thinks you're a douche for arguing about it ever since alt.smokers.pipes
I honestly don't think you are going to get a better description of a codger than this.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I thought I'd add.. Trade [mention]MikeDennison[/mention] for his pouches of 5bros, and smoke nothing else until they are all gone in one of your Grabows.. and by the end, you will not only have a patch of chest hair you could french braid, but you'd be taking your first steps down the straight and narrow path of codgerdom.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

would think scooping out of an OTC pouch checks a few boxes
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm I thought I'd add.. Trade [mention]MikeDennison[/mention] for his pouches of 5bros, and smoke nothing else until they are all gone in one of your Grabows.. and by the end, you will not only have a patch of chest hair you could french braid, but you'd be taking your first steps down the straight and narrow path of codgerdom.
Either that, or it'll cause your hair to all fall out, and leave you hospitalized with heart palpitations. 😖
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

avid wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:34 pm would think scooping out of an OTC pouch checks a few boxes
Is this a no-no? I'm a self taught pipe smoker, so if there is scooping etiquette I need to know so I can give the pretentious b*st*rds at the local pipe club something to complain about.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bro Uhaha wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 pm
avid wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:34 pm would think scooping out of an OTC pouch checks a few boxes
Is this a no-no? I'm a self taught pipe smoker, so if there is scooping etiquette I need to know so I can give the pretentious b*st*rds at the local pipe club something to complain about.
I think scooping is sort of the antithesis of etiquette. It is the primal, instinctual way to get tobacco into the pipe in the most practical way possible. Passed down from our forefathers who worked in the grease, dirt, and dust...and wanted to keep that out of their tobacco(I am just totally making things up as I go). Just stick the bowl in the pouch and scoop until the thing is full.
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

my opinion doesn't count much, but i don't think it's a matter of etiquette...if you're a codger, you're supposed to scoop at will, and either ignore or graciously accept the admiration from those of us who notice... ;)
insufferable filter guy