Old pipe shops from the 60's and 70's

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

In the 70's , I'd go with my Grandpop to a place some where around Mt. Vernon , N.Y. . I'm talking 7o / 71 and i was real young. Apparently he smoked country doctor and by thevtime i was 18 , he went black cavendish ( it was cheap ) . I remember the aroma pretty much . There was a place in Coral Gables , Fl. , bills pipe shop , I think .. I'm trying to remember which decade that was . It was a nice place . Years later he sold it and move to Virginia and the place became a " cigar store " .. I hate those places, truly .
Most if my early experience was either a mom and pop place or things at the drug / food store , which was quit s selection back then ... hell in 1980 , I think it was the shop rite food store in Hackettstown , Nj.. selling Mick McQuaid , Clan , Edgeworth , Kentucky Club etc ....
Before I opened my shop in Temple Terraces , Fl ( basically , Tampa ) ... I hung out at the Edwards in Lakeland Florida a lot , for years . I hung at the one in Tampa just a we bit .
Ah , there was A Tinder box at the mall in NJ ( rockaway mall , i think .. early 80's ) ... i tried tins there , like Dobies four square etc ..

I've visited a number of b&m over the years , in places I traveled to . There were so many years ago . Irc was my favorite
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Armycw2

I remember an old BM shop in downtown St Petersburg FL.. Original Bengal Slices for $1.60 a tin.. Codger burley when they still had coumarin as an ingredient... Sixten Ivarson pipes for $100
“If you can't send money, send tobacco.” GEN George Washington
Whalehead King

I went here a couple weeks ago:

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Armycw2 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 am I remember an old BM shop in downtown St Petersburg FL.. Original Bengal Slices for $1.60 a tin.. Codger burley when they still had coumarin as an ingredient... Sixten Ivarson pipes for $100
I remember one on 4th . I lived on snell island for a couple years and it was up that way on 4th , which I'm guessing was around / between 30th and 40th ave ?

The guy had an excellent smaller shop and had been there for a long while but I can't remember the nsmed of it for nothing . He had the best damn knock about pipes I'd ever seen . You know the ones.. they were dark sandblast with a usually yellow/orange acrylic still stem . His were ultra lightweight and smoked fabulous . There were some tins I tried there for the first time . The guy was real nice and I hate I can't remember much about the place .
Armycw2

I know the shop you are thinking of...he had another smaller shop in the Tyrone Square Mall in the 70s as well.
Another great shop was in Clearwater across from the Fort Harrison Hotel before the Scientologists bought it and the entire downtown area. He used to have a 6 foot tall wooden indian in the front window and sold this english rope tobacco (gwaith maybe) out of a wooden barrel. I still remember buying my first little tin of Bengal Slices there.
“If you can't send money, send tobacco.” GEN George Washington
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Armycw2 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm I know the shop you are thinking of...he had another smaller shop in the Tyrone Square Mall in the 70s as well.
Another great shop was in Clearwater across from the Fort Harrison Hotel before the Scientologists bought it and the entire downtown area. He used to have a 6 foot tall wooden indian in the front window and sold this english rope tobacco (gwaith maybe) out of a wooden barrel. I still remember buying my first little tin of Bengal Slices there.
My goodness.. Tyrone square Mall
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

If possible, somebody help me out .. the fiest pipe and tobacco I ever bought was in NJ in 79 . I'm not sure but I think it was in Morristown , NJ. I remember there was a Woolworths nearby itg because that's where Ma went every do often . I discovered the pipe shop because woolworths was boring and i told my Ma isd go for a walk and meet up with her later . Anytime I. Tealized my Ma was taking a Woolworths trip , I'd ask to go , in order to visit that pipe shop because i wasn't driving yet

Anyway , does anyone remember or know of a shop in Morristown NJ back in 79 ? I can see the place but I can't recall a name

Woolworths in Morristown NJ...

.Image