tiltjlp

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Hopefully I'm not killing him off prematurely, but John was reported in a nursing home in 2013 and has not been seen on pipe forums or Facebook since 2015.

tiltjlp, John Patton, was a pipe forum icon for Burley and cobs. He could be a little crusty at times, and I believe he was banned on at least a couple of pipe forums and was responsible for a couple of new ones starting up. His 4noggins tobacco blends are still available.

John's tobacco blends were remarkable for being constructed of fairly mundane components. I knew nothing about that and smoked his Storm Front for years as my go to Burley. Last year I tried Moe's Confetti for the first time and was instantly enamored. It is the ultimate OTC codger Burley, smooth, nutty, chocolate-y and with backbone. I read somewhere something to the effect that Moe's was nothing special, as it was made from Walgreen's Burley mixed with Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I bought all three and made up a few batches, and I do indeed believe that Moe's Confetti is 50% Walgreens Blender's Gold Golden Burley, 25% Carter Hall and 25% Prince Albert.

I don't discount John's blending ability for that. In fact, I find it even more remarkable that John was creating such incredible smokes out of off the shelf tobaccos. I think it's a testament to his skill, and I consider him one of the 20th century's great American pipe men. I will always remember John as an evangelist of cobs and Burley.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Making a blend from blends is 100 percent valid , man ! [ we need a thumbs up smilie ]
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:18 pm Making a blend from blends is 100 percent valid , man ! [ we need a thumbs up smilie ]
I need to figure out a way to add some smilies, I tried once and wrecked the site for 30 minutes :oops:
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Patton was a genius. I never had any dealings with him, but I put him in the same category as Runowski, and that is high praise for a blender. His cob guide is "from the Book."
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
cigarsarge

I miss John. He and I developed a pretty good relationship. Got a couple of cobs and a tamper he gave me. Live me some Stormfront and Cool Hand Fluke. I have the honor of being mentioned in his Corn Cob Primer.
BOHICA
Whistlebritches

Didn't know John.........but me and Cool Hand Fluke go way back.To this day I can't tell you what I like about it other than it is the most unique vaper I have ever smoked.