My Tobacco Journey Thus Far

Try Cob

When I decided to drop cigarettes in favor of a return to a pipe (after many years) just a few weeks ago, I had no idea that I'd have more than a dozen pipes by now, actually, I believe two dozen - especially once the cobs I ordered for July arrive, any day now. Nor would I have believed that I'd have about thirty different tobaccos by now. PAD and TAD, dad.

I have tobaccos I still have yet to sample, in jars I labelled, but it seems my preferences are pretty pedestrian, overall. My favorites at this point are a triad of OTC goodness: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh - when I want a long, enjoyable smoke, I reach for one of these, with Prince Albert having a slight edge over the others. But that could be because I ran out of it, and the big tin is yet to arrive. I've been jonesing for PA three days now; if it doesn't get here quick, I may admit myself to rehab. No, I don't want rehabbing.

I also like 1-Q, but it is so rich, I don't want it every day... except I do. The Cheyenne Gold, Super Value Vanilla and 1-Q I mix for Christine is actually more of a 1-Q Lite, and I smoke at least a bowl a day of it. She doesn't want anything else; she found her pipe tobacco. SWRA joins it for my second-tier choices, closely behind the first - as in, I smoke them often.

As for 'non-aro' blends, I like the new Va leaf Savinelli Juno. I also like OJK, but I do have to treat it with respect - it made me slightly nauseous when I inhaled too much and the nicotine kicked my butt a little. However, I need to revisit some of the other blends/flakes I tried early on - too early - after I get a better handle on all these.

So, my journey is really just begun, and in the end, I may just be a PA one-trick pony, though I do intend to keep CH and SWR (so far, I like the original better than the aro). And I'll have to keep Christine's three mixers in stock, too. Still, preferences are in flux, and in a few months some of these jarred blends may age to my liking. I try to keep an open mind. And a tin of PA.
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

There is nothing wrong with having a taste for just a few blends. I am not one to talk, because I have done 379 reviews at TR (so far). For probably 20 years or so, I smoked Amphora Red and got the tub/tin of Sail Yellow when they were out. That actually worked very well for me.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Pipe smoking is a great, flavorful way to deliver nicotine...all the stuff that surrounds it is fun, so have at it and enjoy!
The Troll Whisperer
Try Cob

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 pm Pipe smoking is a great, flavorful and the most civilized way to deliver nicotine...all the stuff that surrounds it is fun, so have at it and enjoy!
Fixed it for you.

Yeah, the pipes are fun and so are the tobaccos!

The cleaning is less fun, though.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Try Cob wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 pm Pipe smoking is a great, flavorful and the most civilized way to deliver nicotine...all the stuff that surrounds it is fun, so have at it and enjoy!
Fixed it for you.

Yeah, the pipes are fun and so are the tobaccos!

🤔 I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit, I'll get back to you. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Cleaning is overrated. One pipe in the car on the drive here got some bit of tobacco wedged in the draft hole. I poked a pipe cleaner down the spout mid bowl to clear it. Otherwise I have not so much as touched a pipe cleaner in the last two days. I have had consistently stellar smokes. I say clean them when they need it. You will know.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Try Cob

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 pm
Cleaning is overrated. One pipe in the car on the drive here got some bit of tobacco wedged in the draft hole. I poked a pipe cleaner down the spout mid bowl to clear it. Otherwise I have not so much as touched a pipe cleaner in the last two days. I have had consistently stellar smokes. I say clean them when they need it. You will know.
I generally clean after 3-4 bowls, but now that I have a couple dozen pipes, I procrastinate until a cleanfest. is in order, when I make a mess at the dining table - Christine said that's what I get for "sitting on your ash too long." She slips her two pipes into the pile when I'm cleaning, which I don't mind, considering all the other things around here she keeps clean, so it's the least I can do - and I always try to keep it at that [rimshot].
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I really can't define "clean" when it comes to pipes, to each their own I guess. I run a pipe cleaner through the shank and swab the chamber with it after every smoke. I've never had to deep clean my pipes ever, only ream the cake once in a blue moon..Estates however get the booze/salt soak just because , who the heck knows where it's been.
The Troll Whisperer
Try Cob

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm I really can't define "clean" when it comes to pipes, to each their own I guess. I run a pipe cleaner through the shank and swab the chamber with it after every smoke. I've never had to deep clean my pipes ever, only ream the cake once in a blue moon..Estates however get the booze/salt soak just because , who the heck knows where it's been.
You mean you clean the insides, too?
Middle Earth

I usually hit the airway and bowl with a pipe-cleaner
After a smoke
Just bend the pipe-cleaner into a U- shape and get any moisture loose particles out
Rarely do I every have to do anything more than that