My Tobacco Journey Thus Far

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Try Cob wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 am
You mean you clean the insides, too?
I scrape heck out of the bowl interior with a pipe nail or a car key or something every now and then. They get reamed when they need it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kelhammer

Cleaning? What the hell is that?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm I really can't define "clean" when it comes to pipes, to each their own I guess. I run a pipe cleaner through the shank and swab the chamber with it after every smoke. I've never had to deep clean my pipes ever, only ream the cake once in a blue moon..Estates however get the booze/salt soak just because , who the heck knows where it's been.
According to the internet your supposed too.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm I really can't define "clean" when it comes to pipes, to each their own I guess. I run a pipe cleaner through the shank and swab the chamber with it after every smoke. I've never had to deep clean my pipes ever, only ream the cake once in a blue moon..Estates however get the booze/salt soak just because , who the heck knows where it's been.
I wish you still were on YouTube
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am

I wish you still were on YouTube
:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Try Cob

When I picked up a pipe again - after almost twenty years - the first large tin I ordered was Half & Half because one of my too-many ex-fathers-in-law smoked it and I'd liked the aroma. However, I did not like the taste at all - too much anisette for my palate.

What to do with 12 ounces of tobacco I did not like? I like a bit of licorice now and then, so surely I could find a way to make it more palatable for me. I mixed the entire tin with a roughly equal amount of Cheyenne Gold. Better. I still didn't 'like' it, but I didn't dislike it either. I have smoked several bowls of it now, and now I do like it. Sometimes, as this morning, I reach for it with pleasure.

As I've mentioned previously, I really love music and its reproduction in the home, as do some of you. I listen to most genres. Among them, progressive rock. I struggled for a long time with the rock group Rush - Geddy Lee's voice used to set me on edge. But I kept listening over time, until I began to enjoy their offerings better.

In an online discussion, some fellow enthusiasts opined that they would not listen to music they didn't like, asking why anyone would. I don't know, maybe because there was a time when I didn't like asparagus or turnip greens. I surely have gotten a lot of pleasure from them for decades. Sometimes perseverance pays off in the long run. Don't know that I will ever like my H&H straight up, but I am enjoying it now and find myself craving my watered-down taste of anisette. Now all I need is some genuine absinthe to accompany.
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
Try Cob

A couple, or so, nights ago I went out back for a smoke in the middle of the night, feeling good after a few "bad" days, and smoked a bowl of my H&H/Cheyenne Gold mixture. On the table were half a dozen unfinished pipes, left there during those uncomfortable days. So when I finished my fresh bowl, I smoked the half- and quarter-bowls so as not to just waste the tobacco.

Not recalling which tobaccos I'd loaded in the pipes, I was a bit surprised - only a bit - that I quickly and easily recognized each brand. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, 1Q, H&H/CG, SWR and Velvet - tobaccos you guys would easily id, too. The point is that just a few weeks ago, I'd have been mostly clueless.

However, I'd purchased quite a few different small tins of various blends, and found some unpalatable and confusing, so I decided that a good strategy was to smoke the more common OTCs until I got a handle on them before moving on to non-aromatic (or less aromatic) offerings.

So I decided it is time to try them, and began with Newminster No. 400 SNF. Enjoyed it - would not have a few weeks ago. When I first tried 1-Q I thought "why would I smoke anything else?" but that notion fled quickly. If I decided to stick with just one tobacco, it would not be 1-Q - it's simply too rich and sweet for that, imo. CH or PA would be more like it for me at this point.

I love tomato sandwiches, KISS - wheat bread, an inch-thick tomato slice fresh from the garden, a little salt, a smear of Hellman's. I can eat one every day and not grow tired of it - in fact, I have had one every morning since they began ripening and look forward to one later this morning (it's 3am now). So my tomato-sandwich tobaccos are CH and PA.

As much as I love a 'mater sammich, there yet remain lots of other foods I love, obviously, variety being the spice of life. Why should tobacco be any different?

So I just finished a bowl of GLP Quiet Nights under the front veranda pergola. I chose it after consulting my list of tobacco on hand, with descriptions of each.

Quiet Nights:
Rich, deep, contemplative. Ripe red virginias, fine orientals, smokey Cyprus Latakia, and a pinch of Acadian perique are pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced into Pease's Quiet Nights. The sophisticated flavors and exotic aroma provide a wonderful backdrop for quiet moments of reflection, a good book, and if you are so inclined, perhaps a wee dram.

I mostly avoided blends with Latakia and/or Perique back when I placed my orders, thinking that I would not care for them based on the descriptions I'd read describing them as spicey and smokey. However, I had tried OJK a couple weeks, or so, ago and liked it well enough. So I chose Quiet Nights as next new blend up to bat, because it is indeed a quietand pleasantly cool night, with Christine sound asleep and just me and my busy brain in a contemplative mood.

So I sat and smoked, and contemplated. I thought about how the words hemorrhoids and asteroids were somehow accidentally switched at birth. I thought about Florida's huge increase in Covid-19 new cases and deaths since reopening bars and such - how the Prez started well in dealing with it but has caved in to the economic factors that may threaten his re-election, as he sees it.

About how every issue under the sun is politicized to the point of ineffective action. I thought about Jacob, who became Israel - how he sent gifts to his brother in advance of his arrival - I've used that strategy myself a few times over the years. Not to my brother, but sent gifts to ladies who had issues with me over this or that. It works.

I pondered over my illness a bit. How much time do I have left? Don't know, but as long as I have an appetite I vow to eat as many tomato sandwiches as I can - and that thought made me chuckle. Now everyone near my age knows that laughter is the best medicine, thanks to Reader's Digest, and it is my favorite dose.

I contemplated how death is such a taboo subject in our culture - can't talk with anyone about it because as soon as I try, they say things like "you need to keep a positive attitude" or similar platitudes. I reply, "Hey, I do have a positive attitude. I'm laughing and joyful, but I'm also practical. When I was ten years old my daddy made me go to my uncle's funeral. I didn't want to go, but he explained I needed to pay my respects, so I viewed him in the casket and saw him put into the ground. Ever since that day, I was positive I'd get the same treatment. So don't tell me I'm not positive." I was laughing when I said this to a friend.

I also remembered how much that realization of mortality scared me at the time. However, I've grown up. As an RN, I held many a hand as life ebbed out. And my faith eclipses fear. But try to speak frankly about it with others, and they accuse you of depression. My closest friends and family know that I remain just about the opposite of depressed.

And halfway through the bowl, with such things rambling around in my head, I suddenly realized that I was enjoying this smokey and slightly spicy blend of tobacco. That slight grassiness of the Virginias was leaving a pleasant aftertaste, and the smoke smelled good to me. And I'm positive I'd not have cared much for it when it arrived, had I sampled it at the time.

It felt like a welcome from the world of tobacco. Anyway, the main point of all this is that I love tomato sandwiches.