Restore or leave as is? Also, help with pipe ID!

aquvist

Hi,

I dont really smoke pipes so i cant say that im well educated in models/brands and ID of a certain pipe or such.. i do however like good craftmanship like many of these pipes have.
I recently got 2 more pipes and one was easy to ID since the lettering was nice and clear (ChacoM 215) but the other pipe im not so sure.

I have narrowed the search down to that its a pipe made in tanganyika - branded with FARMER. I can find similar models but just not the same one.
I would be interested in knowing what period it was made and also, should i leave it as is or try to smooth out the chips in the meerschaum?

BR

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

First of all,

There were a lot of pipes made of African meerschaum, I think all by the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Kiko is the line I've seen most. Farmer is bound to be one of their marks too. I looked around and couldn't find anything specific on Farmer. I'm sure you did too. I wouldn't try to smooth this pipe if it was mine. I'd just leave it original. Does it have a stem?
FJB
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:49 am First of all,

There were a lot of pipes made of African meerschaum, I think all by the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Kiko is the line I've seen most. Farmer is bound to be one of their marks too. I looked around and couldn't find anything specific on Farmer. I'm sure you did too. I wouldn't try to smooth this pipe if it was mine. I'd just leave it original. Does it have a stem?
I would leave it original too.

I have no clue at all about the time period.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
aquvist

Thank you for the welcome :)

Yep it does have a stem, not sure if its the original one but..it looks well used. Also a picture of the ChacoM which was in quite good condition.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

That meerschaum is a handsome pipe. Looks great just as it is.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Farmer was a product line of Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Probably made between 1955-1968. ✔
aquvist

Dr Uhaha wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 am Farmer was a product line of Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Probably made between 1955-1968. ✔
Oh, great info!