Middleton’s Cherry Blend Discontinued - Advice Needed

WickedLicorice

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:02 pm I got one tub ..
Since you are an expert on all things Middleton, what cut would you consider the Cherry Blend to be? I’ve read different things online from coarse cut to ribbon cut.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

WickedLicorice wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 pm
Since you are an expert on all things Middleton, what cut would you consider the Cherry Blend to be? I’ve read different things online from coarse cut to ribbon cut.
Hodge Podge cut . Theres a bit of everything in it almost . Its a near brainless to lit and keep lit blend , like alot of the old blends
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
WickedLicorice

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 pm
Hodge Podge cut . Theres a bit of everything in it almost . Its a near brainless to lit and keep lit blend , like alot of the old blends
Yeah, I liked the cut of the Middleton's and it was easy to keep lit. I'm currently trying the WV Alternative, I believe it's made by Sutliff. It's not bad, but I'm not liking the cut and it is often too moist and doesn't stay lit well. Any ideas how I can improve that? Not sure if you have any methods for drying or making a ribbon cut more like the Middleton's?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

WickedLicorice wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 pm
Yeah, I liked the cut of the Middleton's and it was easy to keep lit. I'm currently trying the WV Alternative, I believe it's made by Sutliff. It's not bad, but I'm not liking the cut and it is often too moist and doesn't stay lit well. Any ideas how I can improve that? Not sure if you have any methods for drying or making a ribbon cut more like the Middleton's?
[/quote ]

I've yet to try thst blend but I think the best wasy is yo let it sit out on a plate / tray or whatever . People do all kinds of stuff , like ovens or microwaves etc ... but her best bet is to let it sit out over night or a day and see where it's at

The Middletons right put of the tub is always perfect .... when i pop it , I'll jar it . But their tubs are really quit good . I'll jar it cause I don't smoke it as frequently as if it were available. I'm gonna make that tub last a good while :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Really too late to say hello and welcome, but I feel your pain...

Again, for what it's worth, the match blends are pretty close. Not exact, as you mentioned, but they'll have to suffice. Like [mention]Ruffinogold[/mention] , I've got one sealed tub left.

I see you haven't posted since August of '20, but if you see this, I'd love to hear how you made out.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
WickedLicorice

Hi Wildcat,

Yep, I'm still here!! Hoping someone else will find the closest match to Middleton's as possible. Right now I'm using a mix of two different tobaccos. I'm using about 2/3 of the Sutliff Cherry Blend that is the Middleton's match sold by pipesandcigars.com. The other 1/3 I'm using is the Super Value Cherry Cavendish. It's not as dry as the Middleton's was and is more of a ribbon cut, so I dry it and then grind it just a little bit. It's not quite as mellow as the Middletons was, but it is working for now. I still would like to find a better match. Any suggestions would be must appreciated!!
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I've read on another forum that some major online sites have been notified by John Middleton that Prince Albert is being discontinued due to low sales. Emails from the sites were included in the posts to verify. Sad news indeed for us Old Codgers who still enjoy Prince Albert.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Ray Mackessy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 pm I've read on another forum that some major online sites have been notified by John Middleton that Prince Albert is being discontinued due to low sales. Emails from the sites were included in the posts to verify. Sad news indeed for us Old Codgers who still enjoy Prince Albert.
Unlike...

At least Prince Andrew is good and scratches a similar itch.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ray Mackessy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 pm I've read on another forum that some major online sites have been notified by John Middleton that Prince Albert is being discontinued due to low sales. Emails from the sites were included in the posts to verify. Sad news indeed for us Old Codgers who still enjoy Prince Albert.
Unlike as well. Gad! That really sucks.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

WickedLicorice wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:08 pm Unlike as well. Gad! That really sucks
Yup.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom