Bowl Coatings

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Do any of you apply bowl coatings to new or refurb. pipes? Strong preferences for or against?
ncrobb
Founding Member

I was curious about this a few years ago. I read up on it everywhere I saw it mentioned. People used honey and jelly while some custom makers apply some kind of carbon coating and then there are the presmoked factory pipes. I finally just went plain briar and let the cake build as it will.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I apply nothing other than fire to a pipe. I say it doesn't really matter, if you smoke it you will build up your own coating. I'm neither for or against it.
The Troll Whisperer
Middle Earth

I do not do it myself
But many of my favorite new pipes had it done when they shipped it
My preference is that the maker do it, if they can to it right
Jlando19

I think part of the reason why I got into smoking a pipe is because my dad used to do it. I talked to him about it recently and he went on and on about this pipe he had that was cured with honey. I kinda want to give it a try, if at least to say I've done it.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I used to buy estate pipes. After I refurbished a pipe and before I would smoke it, I would rub the inside with honey. Just coat it real good. And then smoke with some burley. It helped to get a good cake started. If I ever bought a pipe that did not have a coating on it I would probably rub honey on the inside of it just to do it. It doesn’t hurt it.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Jlando19

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm I used to buy estate pipes. After I refurbished a pipe and before I would smoke it, I would rub the inside with honey. Just coat it real good. And then smoke with some burley. It helped it start get a good cake started. If I ever bought a pipe that did not have a coating on it I would probably rub honey on the inside of it just to do it. It doesn’t hurt it.
I'm sold. Anytime more than one person who is older than me gives the same advice, I'm willing to give it a shot. Not to say that hasn't bitten me in the ass before but this seems like a safe bet. Lol.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Jlando19 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm I think part of the reason why I got into smoking a pipe is because my dad used to do it. I talked to him about it recently and he went on and on about this pipe he had that was cured with honey. I kinda want to give it a try, if at least to say I've done it.
Yello-Bole pipes had the honey coating.
The Troll Whisperer
Maynard

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 pm I used to buy estate pipes. After I refurbished a pipe and before I would smoke it, I would rub the inside with honey. Just coat it real good. And then smoke with some burley. It helped to get a good cake started. If I ever bought a pipe that did not have a coating on it I would probably rub honey on the inside of it just to do it. It doesn’t hurt it.
Me too and still do.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm I think part of the reason why I got into smoking a pipe is because my dad used to do it. I talked to him about it recently and he went on and on about this pipe he had that was cured with honey. I kinda want to give it a try, if at least to say I've done it.
Yello-Bole pipes had the honey coating.
Well, whether they was really cured with honey or not (and I have no proof they were not), at least it was yellow! There probably were some drops of honey in the paint. *coff* *hack* *wheeze* *coff* lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!